EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Ask a Catholic

< Return to subforum
Page: 1234Most Recent
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 27 2017 6:56 AM
This is a thread I started on DDO and found it to be rather fun and interesting. Basically, if you've ever had a question about the Catholic Church, let me take a crack at it. If I don't immediately know the answer, I know where I can find it!
Thumbs up from:
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 27 2017 7:10 AM
dsjpk5: From time to time the sitting Pope issues an "encyclical". Can you explain exactly what these are?
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 27 2017 7:16 AM
Also, whenever the Pope issues an encyclical, does he speak with divine authority, or is it merely his well-educated opinion?
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 27 2017 8:49 AM
Dassault Papillon: They are treatises on Catholic doctrine.
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 27 2017 8:51 AM
Dassault Papillon: If you mean "with infallibility", it depends. It depends if he speaks as the universal fear of the Christian Church on a matter of faith and morals, or simply as a theologian.
admin
By admin | Jun 27 2017 9:46 AM
Dassault Papillon: Just well-educated opinion.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jun 27 2017 9:47 AM
dsjpk5: I have a question.

Why does the Catholic Church venerate Mary the mother of Jesus more than Joseph the father of Jesus?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jun 27 2017 9:48 AM
admin: Is it because of the whole "not his real dad" thing, and if so, what is the church's position on the adoptive parents of orphans in relation to showing honor per the 5th commandment?
Let's revive the forums!
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 27 2017 2:45 PM
admin: There's a lot one could say, but I think the main reason we do is because God seems to have given her more honor. Joseph wasn't prophesied about in Genesis 3:15, but Mary was. Joseph wasn't immaculately conceived, but Mary was. Joseph wasn't , as you pointed out, allowed to be a part of the incarnation, but Mary was. Joseph wasn't assumed body and soul into Heaven, but Mary was. Joseph wasn't specifically depicted as having a crown in Heaven, but Mary was.
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 27 2017 2:48 PM
admin: Since this isn't the only reason I mentioned, I assume you'll understand when I say, all things being equal,cadoptive parents should be given the same respect as biological parents.
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 27 2017 2:50 PM
Dassault Papillon: I meant universal leader, not fear. Typo!!!
admin
By admin | Jun 27 2017 3:30 PM
dsjpk5: Doesn't that seem a bit lopsided to you? Why do you think God allowed Mary to become betrothed to Joseph in the first place?

I have a personal theory that Joseph may have died during Jesus' childhood. Do you think this is a possible reason why he's not talked about so much?
Let's revive the forums!
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 27 2017 10:54 PM
admin: Lopsided? Sure, that's a factual observation. Kind of like how LeBron James has a lopsided amount if basketball talent compared to me.

It's understood by most biblical scholars that Mary was about 14 when she became pregnant, so I imagine Joseph became more of a guardian for the young mother. Of course, times being what they were, the only non-scandalous way an unrelated man and woman could live together would be to get married.

I absolutely share your opinion about Joseph's lifespan, especially considering we don't read about him after Jesus is about 13. There's non canonical writings (Gospel of James) that indicate that Joseph was an older widower when he was asked by the town elders to take care of Mary..
admin
By admin | Jun 27 2017 11:11 PM
dsjpk5: Well it's possible but then you have to remember, shortly after Jesus was born, Joseph had a bunch of other babies with Mary that were unquestionably Joseph's (the only alternative here is that Mary cheated on Joseph, which no source suggests and would definitely call into question Mary's morals here). It clearly wasn't a non-sexual deal if that's what you're implying. Personally I don't think such a death date would have been surprising. For a lower class worker during a period of revolt and unrest, combined with disease etc, it is not surprising for somebody to die in their 50s. Assuming Joseph was about 25 when Jesus was born (in my view a fairly high estimate actually), that would make him about 55 when Jesus began his ministry. Which was quite old since at the time, on average, some studies indicate the average male lifespan was only about 35 years or less.

I've just always found it really interesting because there's so much seemingly random veneration in the Church based on ancient traditions and so on. Mary has always struck me as a big obsession of Catholics that other branches don't show as much. I mean protestants etc still think she's important but not "lets give thanks to her in every prayer" levels of important. But you don't really see that with Joseph.

Are there other aspects of the story of Jesus you think are often neglected or overlooked? Something you might feel is not really that significant but maybe overvalued ie in popular culture or something?
Let's revive the forums!
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 28 2017 12:01 AM
admin: As a Catholic, of course I would disagree with the assertion that Mary had any other kids other than Jesus since we claim she remained a virgin her entire life.

Your scenario is definitely possible concerning Joseph and his age.

I wouldn't say the veneration is random. The Bible is replete with examples of Queen mothers receiving honor and respect. And Catholics don't "give thanks to her in every prayer". That's factually inaccurate. As far as the difference between Joseph and Mary, I've given solid, biblical examples where Mary was treated different by God, so it follows that His followers would follow His example.

As for your last question, I can't think of any. Do you have any suggestions?
admin
By admin | Jun 28 2017 12:44 AM
dsjpk5: Huh, I didn't know that. So do you think James wasn't Jesus' real brother or something?

Put it this way - I've seen at least three giant white statues of Mary, all of them outside Catholic churches. I've seen lots of non-Catholic churches, no giant white Maries.

Personally I find quite a lot of them, but then obviously I'm interested in the Bible from a different point-of-view. I find lots of little things in there that make me wonder about stuff.
Let's revive the forums!
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 28 2017 1:21 PM
admin: Huh, I didn't know that. So do you think James wasn't Jesus' real brother or something?

No. The Hebrew culture didn't have a separate word for "cousin". Matthew 27:61 identified James as the Son of "the other Mary".

Put it this way - I've seen at least three giant white statues of Mary, all of them outside Catholic churches. I've seen lots of non-Catholic churches, no giant white Maries.

I don't deny Protestant churches don't follow Catholic practice, but that's why they're protestants... they protest the Catholic Church.

Personally I find quite a lot of them, but then obviously I'm interested in the Bible from a different point-of-view. I find lots of little things in there that make me wonder about stuff.

I'd be interested in hearing about them.
Kasmic
By Kasmic | Jun 28 2017 1:45 PM
dsjpk5: Hey dajpk5! Over the years on DDO we have interacted a few times. I don't know if you recall but before my current drift to doubt of God's existence I was a Mormon. Anyways, good to have you here. I realize this is likely an easy question I could probably google but I am curious on a more personal level. What role does prayer have for a Catholic? Is it a commandment to pray? Does God answer Prayers? How has prayer impacted you? Have you ever felt like The God you believe in has answered your prayers?
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jun 28 2017 2:25 PM
Kasmic: What role does prayer have for a Catholic?

It's central to growing our relationship with God.

Is it a commandment to pray?

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2702 The need to involve the senses in interior prayer corresponds to a requirement of our human nature. We are body and spirit, and we experience the need to translate our feelings externally. We must pray with our whole being to give all power possible to our supplication.

Does God answer Prayers?
Yes.

How has prayer impacted you?

Absolutely. Every day!

Have you ever felt like The God you believe in has answered your prayers?

Definitely, especially during a time I needed financial help.
Kasmic
By Kasmic | Jun 28 2017 2:37 PM
dsjpk5: It seems to me odd that God would answer prayers. If God is omniscient, every decision that he would make would be with all knowledge; A personal prayer would not bring up any new information that God did not know that would impact his decision or action. Does this not undermine the concept of petitionery prayer? Do Catholics Offer petitionary prayers? Would not such request be in vain as whatever God in infinite knowledge and goodness already know the best thing to do? Why would a prayer change that?

Page: 1234Most Recent