EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Militantism vs Pacifism

< Return to subforum
Page: 123Most Recent
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 20 2016 4:25 PM
Pacifism definition- the belief that any violence, including war, is unjustifiable under any circumstances, and that all disputes should be settled by peaceful means.
Militant definition- combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.
What are your views regarding these?
Crow
By Crow | Aug 20 2016 4:50 PM
Bi0Hazard: You have asked this question several times in the past.

At this point you have to know everyones views on the subject.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 20 2016 4:53 PM
Crow: It may depend on what you mean by "everyone". I don't think I know "everyone's views" on the subject.
Crow
By Crow | Aug 20 2016 5:06 PM
Bi0Hazard: Me and admin.

The only consistent members on this site.
admin
By admin | Aug 20 2016 11:55 PM
Crow: Still doesn't mean it isn't worth posing questions from time to time :)
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 21 2016 6:21 AM
Crow: There may be some things I don't know and other members could respond too.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 22 2016 4:26 PM
admin: Do you believe violence is ever justified?
admin
By admin | Aug 22 2016 4:29 PM
Bi0Hazard: Depends what you count as violence. For example I believe prisons should exist.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 22 2016 4:46 PM
admin: So,do you believe state violence is justified, but citizen violence isn't?
By violence, I mean physical force by another person or organization of people.
admin
By admin | Aug 22 2016 4:48 PM
Bi0Hazard: Well, if a train conductor uses physical force to stop somebody walking off a moving train, that would be justified too.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 22 2016 4:52 PM
admin: Alright, so it is like anyone else, violence can be justified as long as it is for what you think to be a greater good.
admin
By admin | Aug 22 2016 4:55 PM
Bi0Hazard: Violence can be justified, in my view, if it is non-destructive. If violence is used to harm somebody, or to harm society, then it's not justified as a moral principle. Notwithstanding that, violence is a natural right.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Aug 22 2016 6:32 PM
admin: the belief that any violence, including war, is unjustifiable under any circumstances, and that all disputes should be settled by peaceful means.

Turn in your pacifist card.
admin
By admin | Aug 22 2016 6:34 PM
Crow: Sure but if you look at the word violence more carefully, you'll realize it's usually not defined as broadly as any force. Usually you actually have to physically HARM somebody for it to count as violence.

I don't believe people should be allowed to physically harm people. Not even the state.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 24 2016 4:56 AM
Crow: Under what circumstances do you believe violence to be justifiable?
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 24 2016 4:57 AM
admin: Notwithstanding that, violence is a natural right.
What do you mean by this?
Crow
By Crow | Aug 24 2016 6:49 AM
Bi0Hazard: War is justified in defense of life and liberty, for oneself and others.

Other forms of violence are justified in self-defense only. Although I do not fault someone for bopping a jackass every once in awhile.
Crow
By Crow | Aug 24 2016 6:52 AM
I have stood behind domestic terrorists in the past. Threats to humanity need to be car-bombed.
admin
By admin | Aug 24 2016 6:56 AM
Bi0Hazard: People can do what they like, unless there is a moral reason etc not to do something.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Aug 24 2016 6:58 AM
admin: All violence harms somebody and society.

You systematically throw dissenters to the rule of law in prison, and they become examples for your little stalinist regime.
Page: 123Most Recent