EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

CX Round feedback

< Return to subforum
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 6 2014 10:05 AM
Very excited to see the first real hit out of CX rounds. I reckon they are a very cool addition to the site!

Some comments/points that might need looking at:

1) The timing of these is tricky. If the responder takes too long to respond, there may be too many questions for them to respond to and it gets hard to follow.
OPTIONS? - restrict the number of questions that can be asked or force the responder to indicate the question they're responding to?
- Place a time limit on CX rounds, that all questions must be answered within 6 hrs or the CX round ends. (How does the CX round end anyway? Is it timed?

2) It was really disconcerting having several answers spread across multiple comments. I'm assuming this is a character limit thing - maybe we can raise the character limit permitted?
admin
By admin | Apr 6 2014 10:40 AM
nzlockie: "restrict the number of questions that can be asked or force the responder to indicate the question they're responding to?"
The site can't tell who is supposed to be asking and who is supposed to be answering. That makes this difficult.

"How does the CX round end anyway? Is it timed?"
Yes, timed. Same length as a standard round.

"It was really disconcerting having several answers spread across multiple comments."
The limit is the same as any other shoutbox on the site. I'll look into this for sure though.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 8 2014 8:09 AM
Just participating in my first CX round, and I'm still loving it.

One point, my debate has 5 day rounds. This means that with 3 rounds, the debate is going to stretch at LEAST 10 days. Would it possible to have a submit button in the CX rounds so that , if both parties agree, the CX round can be concluded early?

And if so, what do we think about this?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 8 2014 8:11 AM
This risk is obviously that one party accidently closes it early. It'd be cool if the button only becomes active halfway through the allocated time, but that might be too hard. (Reverse psychology)
admin
By admin | Apr 8 2014 12:14 PM
nzlockie: Psychoanalysis does not work on computers, but it isn't too hard for a computer to divide by 2.

I think it would ruin the point a bit - why have a cx round if you're just going to conclude it early? The next speaker has zero incentive to click that button anyway since it gives them extra time to work on their arguments.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 7:54 AM
admin: If you have no more good questions left.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
admin
By admin | May 9 2014 10:56 AM
Pinkie: ...then you could always just wait until the end of the CX round?
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 7:10 PM
admin: Oh, so there's a time limit not question limit. That was a super bad misunderstanding sorry.
admin
By admin | May 9 2014 7:12 PM
Pinkie: No problem! And for future reference in case anybody comes across this thread with a question about the time limit, it's exactly the same limit as the time limit for each round.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 7:15 PM
admin: So a month if we had a limit?
admin
By admin | May 9 2014 7:23 PM
Pinkie: Yip. :)
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jul 9 2014 4:20 AM
admin: Haha, that's long time to ask questions!