EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

UN Action on Ukraine

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 17 2014 5:50 AM
What should the UN do now that the Russians have hosted elections in Crimea? The Crimeans have voted to secede. War may be breaking out soon at this rate. I hope not.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
TheCP
By TheCP | Mar 17 2014 5:54 AM
Tophatdoc: There's not much they can do. Russia has veto power on the Security Council which is the only body of the UN capable of doing anything in this situation. NATO, the EU and the US I think are going to posture and threaten but I doubt they'll do anything serious, even if Russia does take more chunks of the Ukraine.
http://www.conservativepolitico.org/
TheCP
Tophatdoc: There's not much they can do. Russia has veto power on the Security Council which is the only body of the UN capable of doing anything in this situation. NATO, the EU and the US I think are going to posture and threaten but I doubt they'll do anything serious, even if Russia does take more chunks of the Ukraine.
TheCP
I don't know why that double posted. I'm still getting used to this site. My B dawg.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 17 2014 6:02 AM
TheCP: I agree, I don't see the UN doing anything at all due to China and Russia who can veto what they don't like. If Russia does take more land from Ukraine. You don't think the Ukrainians will fight? Some of their neighbors are riled up like Lithuania and Poland about Russian aggression.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
TheCP
By TheCP | Mar 17 2014 6:04 AM
Tophatdoc: I think the Ukraine will fight yes, it will be futile but I think they'll at least try.

And I agree that the other states are afraid of Russian aggression but if you're in NATO or the EU I think you're pretty much safe. Russia can't handle fighting either organization in my opinion.
NightofTheLivingCats
By NightofTheLivingCats | Mar 17 2014 6:08 AM
TheCP: That's ducking retarded. If Hitler had veto power the world would be a shit place to live in.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 17 2014 6:12 AM
TheCP: I agree. I have the feeling that the Ukrainians will be annihilated in military conflict with the Russians.
TheCP
By TheCP | Mar 17 2014 6:28 AM
NightofTheLivingCats: Yeah well the way the UN is structured they have veto power. I didn't give the Russians and Chinese veto power. Also, without UN Security Council approval countries would have to take independent action against the Russians who could then use the UN as a platform to complain about it.

The UN is bullcrap for reasons like this.
admin
By admin | Mar 17 2014 1:04 PM
I actually agree with the above sentiments to a degree. Ukraine is not in a position right now to assert that they should own the Crimea, so no matter how much all the other countries do not recognise the vote that took place there, Russia's assertion of legitimate authority in the Crimea seems totally vindicated to me. I also think the security council thing is silly. Remember when Rwanda was on the security council that one time and vetoed any investigation while they were committing genocide?

But I do think the UN has a role in preventing further esculation of conflict, and that starts with stabilising the Ukraine. So long as the government of Ukraine remains a total mess the Russians can bully them into anything. Ukraine needs a strong and stable government again.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 17 2014 10:48 PM
admin: The UN Security Council is lacks the cohesion to act on important events in most cases that I have observed.

I think that the stabilization of the Ukrainian government will take a long time at this point. I think more potential horror is being unleashed currently.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 18 2014 1:41 AM
It is official; Russia has annexed Ukraine. I didn't know annexation were taking place in the 21st century. Russia seems to be the leader thus far.
admin
By admin | Mar 18 2014 10:40 AM
Tophatdoc: );
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Citrakayah
By Citrakayah | Mar 18 2014 3:15 PM
I think what we need to ask ourselves if not whether or not Russia's claim is legitimate based on history, but how Russia will treat the people of Crimea. Will they continue to be administered by a repressive, dictatorial leader, or will they be prosperous and enjoy greater freedoms?

Russia has shown itself to be untrustworthy--or, more specifically, Putin has. Therefore, I oppose any expansion of Russia, not because I think that Russia should not necessarily join with Crimea, but because Putin is so bad a leader that I don't want him in charge of anything.
admin
By admin | Mar 18 2014 3:53 PM
Citrakayah: I would oppose it just because the vote is a total sham. If there was some slow transitional process I would fully support it. They're setting the crimea up for failure much like South Sudan set themselves up for failure.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 19 2014 5:27 AM
admin: :(
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
admin
By admin | Mar 19 2014 10:35 AM
Pinkie: :(
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 21 2014 2:48 PM
admin: D:
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 21 2014 2:49 PM
Pinkie: These are my favorite of the faces: ;) :D :(
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 21 2014 3:21 PM
Pinkie: #relevant
Page: 12Most Recent