EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

World Online Debate Cup

< Return to subforum
Page: 123456Most Recent
admin
By admin | Jul 25 2014 8:40 PM
Pinkie: Fanath... sort-of IDK what's going on with him. He hasn't messaged me saying he's leaving but he hasn't done anything either.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jul 25 2014 8:41 PM
admin: Oh okay.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
admin
By admin | Jul 28 2014 4:09 AM
Fanath is out of the tournament.

Also, I've decided I WILL be accepting sign-ups between rounds. Details on the procedure for this to follow. Debaters who join late will start with no points, which will of course be a significant disadvantage especially as the rounds continue.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jul 30 2014 12:11 AM
If you're interested in joining the tournament between rounds, send me a message with your username, email and that you want to represent edeb8 in the tournament.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 9 2014 7:36 AM
First lot of power-paired debates is coming up in a week. You have a full week to prepare, or you can start super early! Here's all the confirmed debates of the tournament so far, proving we have some very interesting competition coming up.

Debates confirmed so far - home sides listed first:

Round 1 (completed :(

nzlockie (Edeb8) vs CJKAllstar (DDO)
ArcTImes (DDO) vs Rebekah (Edeb8)
Ba'al Hamon (Edeb8) vs Ajabi (DDO)
Krit (Edeb8) vs LogicalLunatic (DDO)
Fanath (DDO) vs bsh1 (DDO)
9spaceking (DDO) vs jh1234l (DDO)

Round 2 (in progress :(

jh1234l (DDO) vs ArcTImes (DDO)
CJKAllstar (DDO) vs Ajabi (DDO)
bsh1 (DDO) vs cooldudebro (edeb8)
Rebekah (edeb8) vs Ba'al Hamon (edeb8)
Krit (edeb8) vs nzlockie (edeb8)
LogicalLunatic (DDO) vs 9spaceking (DDO)

Round 3 (upcoming :(

Ajabi (DDO) vs ArcTImes (DDO)
9spaceking (DDO) vs nzlockie (Edeb8)
bsh1 (DDO) vs Krit (Edeb8)
Rebekah (Edeb8) vs CJKAllstar (DDO)
jh1234l (DDO) vs Ba'al Hamon (Edeb8)
cooldudebro (Edeb8) vs LogicalLunatic (DDO)

Particularly interested in seeing the top 3 seeded debates in that draw - really a strong build up and a lot of exciting edeb8 vs ddo action.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 9 2014 9:04 AM
admin: How come ajabi and I have zero points?
Both of us had eligible people voting for us, and even if the argument was that our opponents conceded, shouldn't we both get at least five points for the bye?

admin
By admin | Aug 9 2014 9:09 AM
nzlockie: Not sure where you get 5 from. A bye is worth a win with 0 points, as bsh1 also received. I felt this was the most fair way to handle the situation, as I don't see why somebody should be penalized for not being able to start their debate, over and above somebody whose opponent quits during the debate.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 9 2014 9:18 AM
admin: I got it from this: " if there are an odd number of debaters in the tournament overall, the lowest ranked debater in the tournament gets a bye for the round, that counts as a "home" win with 5 points. " - which is the only place where a bye is mentioned.

So when someone concedes after starting the debate, especially in my case where my opponent did actually make an argument, all votes awarded just don't count?
admin
By admin | Aug 9 2014 9:21 AM
nzlockie: Oh flip you're right, going to go update the table now...
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 9 2014 9:26 AM
nzlockie: OK updated.

I do personally think this is a bit unfair, as with the scaling this puts Ajabi in #1 ahead of ArcTimes, even though ArcTimes had to fight tooth and nail for their placing and Ajabi didn't really fight at all. But oh well, rules are rules. Next time I'll see if I can revise this.

I'll update the round 3 match-ups in a moment.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 9 2014 10:02 AM
admin: Agreed. Maybe the scaling shouldn't apply to byes. It's tricky. I do think it's unfair that a forfeit effectively penalises the person who WAS willing to debate though.
Maybe the person who forfeits should receive a deduction in addition to the loss?

Personally I think next time id just run with a knockout tournament. Gets rid of all these issues.
admin
By admin | Aug 9 2014 10:05 AM
nzlockie: It doesn't really penalize them to get 0 speaker points. It just means winning by default is ranked lower than winning not by default in most cases. Which I think, personally, is fair.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 9 2014 10:07 AM
Also, new r3 match-ups will be:

Ajabi (DDO) vs 9spaceking (DDO)
Krit (Edeb8) vs nzlockie (Edeb8)
bsh1 (DDO) vs ArcTImes (DDO)
Rebekah (Edeb8) vs CJKAllstar (DDO)
jh1234l (DDO) vs Ba'al Hamon (Edeb8)
cooldudebro (Edeb8) vs LogicalLunatic (DDO)
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 9 2014 11:47 AM
admin: Rematch with me and krit!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 9 2014 12:31 PM
admin: I think it's fair that winning through forfeits is ranked lower, however, given that the points may factor quite heavily, it makes it unfortunate for someone who, through no fault of their own, happens to have uncompleted debates.
Taken to an extreme, it gives you a way to "hurt" your opponent if you feel like your case has been lost anyway. Obviously I'd hope that would never be the case but you know...
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 9 2014 12:35 PM
Oops, posted early.
What I meant to say was that nobody wants to see forfeits. They suck. Obviously in a knockout tournament, the problem resolved itself, but in this style it's not as bad.
Maybe something to look at would be to penalise them further.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 9 2014 1:30 PM
I'd like to claim my win Admin. Since my partner, "has avoided the debate" I can now be awarded my free win. I sent him a message the first day of the match up and to this moment he has not responded.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
admin
By admin | Aug 9 2014 2:25 PM
nzlockie: Sorry I'm late sending out the topics!!!

I don't think the points factor that heavily. They matter a lot more in the earlier rounds but in the later rounds they become increasingly insignificant.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 23 2014 5:31 PM
Some interesting stats based on the results from the first two rounds (round 3 is currently in progress, and there are 5 rounds altogether :(

> DDO is currently beating edeb8 for the intersite title by a very slim margin of 6.9 to 7.2 (lower is better). Due to a number of dropouts from DDO, however, this lead will be extremely difficult to maintain as the rounds progress.

> The top six debaters have been the same in both of the first rounds. Tournament favorite bsh1 remains strong at #4, just ahead of 9spaceking and nzlockie. ArcTlmes and Ajabi are virtually tied for 2nd place, with Ajabi ahead only on the fourth tiebreak (!). Krit from edeb8 leads the field by an incredibly slim margin of 2 points on the second tiebreak.

> The tournament field is still far from settled: at the end of round 2, LogicalLunatic rose several places on the standings despite losing his debate, and yet still dropped out of the competition. Conversely some debaters, such as Ajabi, actually went down on the standings despite winning their debates.

> The topics in this competition have been highly varied and interesting, encompassing speed limits, abortion (x2), circumcision, Christianity, evolution, drug testing, separation of church and state, the Falkland Islands, rap battling, organ procurement, and single-sex education.

> Despite a few very good votes, the tournament as a whole is lacking in high-quality judgments. In round 2 Krit rose to the top of the table off a single vote where the RFD was literally "I think Krit proved the Falkland Islands didn't belong to Britain. Tell me if I'm wrong."

> There has been a weak but noticeable centralization effect on the odds voting, with pundits less likely to go for one debater by massive margins than in earlier rounds. This is despite a reduced interest in odds voting as the tournament continues.

Remember that you can keep up with the latest standings and tournament updates at http://www.edeb8.com/tournament
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 23 2014 8:30 PM
admin: Yep, got to say, that vote by spaceking was pretty disappointing. We both worked really hard on that topic and to have it decided like that doesn't really fill me with much enthusiasm to commit that much effort again. In this tourney.
Page: 123456Most Recent