EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

DDO Transfer

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Jun 27 2017 9:52 AM
So as you know I'm going to be transferring stuff from DDO. Ideally I'd want to do that today. I might possibly wait until after DDO's errors break down to see if anyone sent a last-minute submission or something.

Where on your Edeb8 profiles do you think it would be best to display your DDO record? On the debate tab somewhere? On a different page? Let me know your thoughts.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
devinator534 (DDO)
By devinator534 (DDO) | Jun 27 2017 12:06 PM
admin: Is debate.org officially gone?
admin
By admin | Jun 27 2017 3:31 PM
devinator534 (DDO): I'm not a DDO official, so IDK.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Ragnar
By Ragnar | Jun 27 2017 6:43 PM
admin: Which stats are being transferred?

I think it'd be pretty cool to have a mini tab on the current records box, to display migrated records... possibly a third tab for combined (i think you have an object oriented design, if so that should be easy to auto generate). If going this general route, a user option for preferred view would be neato.
admin
By admin | Jun 27 2017 6:49 PM
Ragnar: Ha, the profile page code is anything but. It's a mess. Over half of it is code to display the status updates. I really need to clean it sometime. Miss the days when you couldn't get away with code like that lol.

So far I've only been sent wins/losses. The more stats people send me, with verification of who's who, the more I can put stuff up.

I like the idea of two tabs on the records box. Might try that actually. Combined would be harder because the stats aren't really comparable. Like for example edeb8 uses a totally different (ie more accurate) Elo formula.
Thumbs up from:
Let's revive the forums!
LunaticFringe
By LunaticFringe | Jun 28 2017 9:16 AM
Did you get my submission before DDO died?
UtherPenguin
By UtherPenguin | Jun 28 2017 10:26 AM
devinator534 (DDO): No, but it's sure as hell is coming close.
Ragnar
By Ragnar | Jun 28 2017 12:07 PM
With DDO down again, and their PM system being broken before that... If anyone wants records transferred after it flat-lines, they will still be available for awhile in Google's cache.

For example: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gmky36SXjZEJ:www.debate.org/Ragnar/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Debate Statistics
Debates:88
Lost:0
Tied:0
Won:88
Win Ratio:100.00%
Percentile:99.89%
Elo Ranking:5,250
Statistics based on completed debates.

Activity Statistics
Forum Posts:1762
Votes Cast:2113
Opinion Arguments:75
Opinion Questions:12
Poll Votes:62
Poll Topics:1

It's me from a couple months ago, but it's still me; complete with a 1 forum post for every 1.20 votes ratio.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 28 2017 5:42 PM
In my 3+ years on DDO I've done very little that's worth preserving. That having been said, I've done like two or three high quality debates that might warrant being preserved. Is it possible to simply preserve the transcripts and basic essence of said awesome debates and add them to this site?
admin
By admin | Jun 28 2017 8:30 PM
Dassault Papillon: Probably, somehow. Personally I wish I could preserve a few too.
Let's revive the forums!
Mikal
By Mikal | Jun 30 2017 2:43 AM
admin: I think there are a few different ways you can do it. I don't like the idea of a "tab" per say but possibly a column. Where it lists your Edb8 Stats, Your migrates stats, and your combined stats with a leaderboard for each. I think the easiest way to make it work is to just input the data to the formula you use on edb8. Basically, make only one leaderboard and just type in the DDO stats to the site manually. Literally transferring the data and plugging the wins and losses into what you are already doing
admin
By admin | Jun 30 2017 3:53 AM
Mikal: Wouldn't work because you'd have to have the historical Elo scores of every single person who anyone doing the transfer has ever debated with, in order to calculate Elo by edeb8's formula. I mean you could plausibly use it for combined stats of win ratio etc but that's about the only stat. Without data on every user / debate on the site it seems impossible.

If we did it as a column we'd have to put it on the debate page. There'd not be enough room otherwise. Although I think it would be good there. Thoughts?
Let's revive the forums!
Mikal
By Mikal | Jun 30 2017 5:21 AM
admin: I mean you know the site more than I do. I trust your thoughts way more than I do mine. You would have to do 3 separate leaderboards though

Edb8
Migrated
Overall

I think this will eventually pick up traction. DDO has been down since Tuesday and they won't fix it over the weekend. It's getting to where it goes down about a week at a time. It's a matter of time before it dies and I value preservation of my hard work and the work of others. Plus I have always had respect for you for the work you put into this and how much you care about taking thoughts and implementing them. Now I just have a valid reason to come over.