EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

More debating advice

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Jul 26 2014 4:41 PM
I was asked this question quite recently:

"How do I argue [for] a proposal I despise, with arguments based on my own admission are silly?"

How do you handle doing arguments you don't like? I just remove my personal beliefs from the debate entirely but I realize that's difficult for many people.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jul 26 2014 5:26 PM
admin: Its a good question and definitely one of the parts about this whole exercise I enjoy the most. That's why I like taking the secret topics.

Thus far I've been able to suck it up and state the argument that the other side would argue. But it's harder when you actually can't think of a possible argument for the other side.

In my case I'm just trusting that there's ALWAYS an argument. I figure it out then argue it as fast as I can and hope the other guy doesn't make his argument in time! Lol
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 2 2014 5:32 PM
My question is, "If you spend 6 hours on a debate for the WODC, your computer overheats and you lose all your arguments, and you only have 26 minutes left to write a argument, what do you do?"
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 2 2014 5:50 PM
Pinkie: Get a better computer.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 2 2014 5:50 PM
nzlockie: Wow. :(
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 2 2014 5:52 PM
Pinkie: I know. 8)
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 2 2014 5:53 PM
nzlockie: That happened though, I cried.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 2 2014 6:02 PM
Pinkie: Suck it up princess.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 2 2014 6:04 PM
nzlockie: You would have too! Lol, spending six hours on a debate winning argument and then O.o it got deleted and you had 26 minutes left to write it.
admin
By admin | Aug 2 2014 7:12 PM
Pinkie: Turn on auto-saving drafts in your settings
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 2 2014 7:49 PM
admin: They have that?
admin
By admin | Aug 2 2014 7:51 PM
Pinkie: Yip :)

It saves your argument to the server every 30 seconds or so automatically, so you don't need to remember to click "Save Draft" every time. I think it's a default.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Aug 2 2014 8:14 PM
admin: Awesome! :D
9spaceking
By 9spaceking | Oct 22 2014 5:38 AM
Sometimes I just concede and give up. But ever since my apex (180 debates) in debating I've seen a decline.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QPqHKSAsqVD8E40xP-TL_u2jWK44GIKtu6LLRsQve1g/edit?usp=sharing
Master of awesomeness