EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Happy Thanksgiving

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 27 2014 5:44 AM
Happy holidays make happy people. Have a good time on thanksgiving edeb8'ers.
Missing out on a great colonial esque holiday my people from NZ.
admin
By admin | Nov 27 2014 6:07 AM
Blackflag: We've got our own holidays from our colonial days. Waitangi Day for example.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Nov 27 2014 7:38 AM
admin: And Guy Fawkes!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 27 2014 7:50 AM
admin: Hmm, probably Maori related. Is it exclusive to New Zealand, or could I see it if I went to Hawaii or something?
admin
By admin | Nov 27 2014 7:51 AM
Blackflag: Waitangi was the scene of the initial signing of what is generally considered our "founding document", the Treaty of Waitangi. It's the equivalent of your independence day.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 27 2014 7:58 AM
admin: Oh, oddly enough I actually heard that before. My memory is waning on me :(
sea_shell
By sea_shell | Nov 27 2014 2:06 PM
admin: Although it's a treaty between the indigenous peoples and the pakeha, so I would rank it far higher than most other countries "founding documents".
I'm not sure if I trust anyone who doesn't have their face as their profile.
admin
By admin | Nov 27 2014 2:20 PM
sea_shell: Then again it was exceptionally vaguely written, horribly translated, produced in dozens of inconsistent versions, declared a nullity by our courts a couple of years later, indirectly leading to war, leading to protest that continues to this day...

I mean, don't get me wrong, it was a nice try, and certainly a better attempt than most countries, I just felt like your post was missing a rather important bit of context in that nobody really knew what it meant and almost everybody immediately dishonored it anyway.
Let's revive the forums!
sea_shell
By sea_shell | Nov 27 2014 2:36 PM
admin: For sure, there has been a lot of dishonouring, but the fact that we have it puts us above other colonised countries. The fact that tangata whenua have a leg to stand on is a good thing to me. I wish that all NZers were properly educated on it (I'm doing my bit), but even if they're not, that reflects on them and their ignorance, not on te Tiriti o Waitangi. There is a reason it's studied all overy the world in sociology classes.
I'm not sure if I trust anyone who doesn't have their face as their profile.