EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

You know what really grinds my gears?

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Mar 22 2015 7:40 AM
When people call Ukraine, "The Ukraine." No one in Ukraine actually says this, and it is highly offensive given the historical context. During the times of Stalin, every tactic possible was used to crush Ukrainian nationalism. Including the Holodomor, the second worst genocide in history. Stalin forced all state media to start referring to "Ukraine," as "The Ukraine" in an attempt to promote Ukraine as a region of Russia. Maybe I let this bother me more than I should, but it is ignorant on a lot of people's part.

What grinds your gears?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 22 2015 10:23 AM
Blackflag: Actually this is a pretty pertinent observation. I must confess, even though i know that it's not, I DO say, "the Ukraine".
I can totally see how this would be one of those casual offensives that people do... I shall try to stop.

In the early colonial days of New Zealand, the (mostly) English settlers observed the intricately carved Jade objects that the Maori people had. They called the mineral that these were made from, "Greenstone" because it was thought that the primitive Maori couldn't possibly be capable of shaping a stone as hard as Jade.
Greenstone is therefore become one of those words in common usage down here which conveys a historical insult, albeit a pretty mild one and possibly accidental.

I don't think mean any offence when they use the term Greenstone, however once informed, I appreciate it when they refer to it as either, Nephrite, Jade or Pounamu - all of which are more correct names.

Also, I hate it when people say, "literally" when they don't mean it literally.