EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

War

< Return to subforum
Unbelievable.Time
By Unbelievable.Time | Dec 31 2014 4:04 AM
I have discussed this topic with my friends and I hope that I can discuss it here. What is your view on War?

War has inevitably brought us for the technology advancement and many more. So, do you think war is good or bad?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 31 2014 7:26 AM
Unbelievable.Time: I am somewhat of a moral relativist. I do not accept death is inherently bad, and based on that premise, I do not put to much thought into people wanting to kill each other. As long as unwilling participants can be separated from the conflict, which has on occasions happened.

War is like death. You can spend all your life preventing it, but eventually it will come. The only question is what you will do when it comes. Many people believe you can simply ignore the conflict, but war has a way of forcing certain people to fight.
Thumbs up from:
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 31 2014 7:32 AM
Since my favorite passion is war theory, I know that a calculated war can be fought, with high results, and minimal collateral damage. When you ask yourself is a war justified though, it really comes down to gauging two worths. Maybe saving your country is worth risking your life? Maybe saving your people from massacre or a terrible fate is worth risking your life? If you are smart, confident in your abilities, and well versed on how to fight, then I encourage you to stand up for what you value as important.

I never believe dying is better than saving your country, but I do sometimes sympathize with the risk of dying. Life is about gambling, and sometimes you just need to gamble your life. We will all die eventually. I would rather live my life to its fullest, without fear. Therefore I do not fear death, and only look towards reward. Many of the people who fight carry the same mindset. They are not worried about dying, so why do people worry for them?
Thumbs up from:
admin
By admin | Dec 31 2014 10:43 AM
Unbelievable.Time: I think it's terrible. Peace has advanced technology far more than war.
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 31 2014 10:58 AM
Unbelievable.Time: I'm a fan of learning from history. Almost every individual who has been personally involved in War throughout history has said it was terrible, wasteful and pointless. This makes me pretty confident that it is bad.

The world would be a better place if we could reason our way through various conflicts - however, realistically, given human nature, that's simply not possible. For this reason I think war will continue to have a place.
On careful reflection, I struggle to find a reasonable reason for war. It would certainly have to be defensive, but even then, I'm struggling to think of one.

Thumbs up from:
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 31 2014 12:40 PM
War, like NZlockie said, is terrible, wasteful, and pointless. Like NZlockie also said, it is impossible at this state of human progression to cooperate our way through every conflict.
The reason? Because cooperation requires concessions, and some sides would rather fight than make those concessions.

Peace has advanced technology far more than war
I strongly disagree with this, although I still prefer peace to war for obvious reasons.
Thumbs up from:
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 31 2014 12:43 PM
Well, I might as well back that last statement up. Every war, humanity finds new ways to kill people. New economic techniques, strategies, ecetera. Nations do this to gain the upper hand on each other, and the only time we will ever see state funded advancement is during war, or a cold war. The problem is that humanity, if we keep fighting, will technologically progress to the point where we end up destroying ourselves.

For the one who shall not be named (because admin has a problem with this guy), said "I do not know what we weapons we will use during the third world war, but we will be fighting with sticks and stones by the fourth"
Thumbs up from:
18Karl
By 18Karl | Dec 31 2014 2:15 PM
Unbelievable.Time: I would rather prefer peace than war, but if it is inevitable, then so be it.
Thumbs up from:
"Oi you! Yeah you! How many commies have you shot today"