EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

ADOL World (My ideal government)

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Mar 20 2014 2:20 PM
Tophatdoc: Why do you think law would be easier to break unknowingly in this world?
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 21 2014 7:19 AM
ADreamOfLiberty: Weak laws can be adapted and the rest of the population may not know.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 21 2014 7:54 AM
I think my IDEAL world government would be basically communist but with the people in charge being morally incorruptible.

I personally don't think that's possible so it's just an ideal world in my head. Sadly my ideal world with one tiny flaw, (people in charge not being morally incorruptible) ends up being one of my least ideal worlds.

Maybe when doc takes the world over with his robots we can have something established with a robot in charge?
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Mar 21 2014 10:57 AM
Tophatdoc: They can easily see a list of new laws in the computer system. How is this different from now when congress passes a law and even congressmen aren't sure what's in there?
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Mar 21 2014 10:58 AM
nzlockie: Ideal considering the impossible would be heaven, no need for government because everyone acts morally and there is no need for social action.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 21 2014 1:46 PM
ADreamOfLiberty: I will state what I was trying to imply earlier. The average joe is breaking laws and he doesn't even know it. He can be prosecuted and sent to jail for crimes he didn't even know he existed(this happens often in the US). Why would someone look up something they don't think is illegal? Also would the average joe look into the various statues? I highly doubt it.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Mar 22 2014 12:50 AM
Tophatdoc: I don't understand. If you admit it would be no worse than current governments what's the objection?
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 22 2014 1:06 PM
ADreamOfLiberty: That is the exact reason! I oppose the current over-politicization of society. I won't be able to explain much further because I have had a migraine which is really bothering me.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 22 2014 3:46 PM
Tophatdoc: If you have a migraine the last thing that will help is bright computer screens. Go to your room, shut the door, close the blinds and take a nap.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 22 2014 10:53 PM
Pinkie: Thanks, I did that several times this week actually. It hasn't worked; It is probably sinus pressure that makes me sick for a week or so because I get it around the Winter or early Spring.
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Mar 24 2014 2:10 AM
Tophatdoc: I'd be happy to hear any mechanisms by which this problem can be addressed (short of abolishing law and introducing anarchy)
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Mar 24 2014 2:23 AM
ADreamOfLiberty: I would highly recommend reading Carl Schmitt's Concept of the Political.

The government has become involved in affairs that have nothing to do with governing. There is hardly anything that is not political in modern society. Even your bestiality posts in the forums on the other website is of a political nature because it is a question of legality on the Internet. I would say there needs to be a serious re-examination of laws because the government does not govern society in today's time. It is more concerned with managing society. This "managing of society" conflicts with other pre-existing institutions(cultural, religious, social, etc). Henceforth, the reason why some of these other institutions have failed due to political interference. An example of this would be marriage because parents are no longer required. Historically, in the United States, the acceptance of the parents were required for a marriage to take place. In today's time, a couple can just go to a courthouse to get married. That is two concepts being undermined by the political, cultural(parents) and the religious(churches marry the couples). The political has redefined marriage as well.

Historically, in the majority of societies this "managing of society" did not happen. But then again, there was no concept of the "public" in the majority of societies either historically.
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Mar 24 2014 5:42 AM
Tophatdoc: "The public" is of course the latest and so called most virtuous collective by which to justify your actions as an individual towards individuals. Before "the public" it was "the nation" and "the church" and "SPQR."

I agree that laws are used in ways they should not be. They are used to regulate. Much of them have nothing to do with morality but are instead pragmatic attempts at social engineering.

However, I believe this government addresses that as best it can by forcing (so long as people stick to the Constitution) laws to protect rights and violate no rights while doing it. The limits on law here are as absolute as they can be without tying the hands of future generations to deal with new threats to rights.

I thought you were referring to a way to keep it from getting crazy complicated, I think simplicity in law is a virtue however the world is complicated. I think the fact that people vote on the laws directly will help eliminate a lot of the nonsense. Nobody is going to ready 1000 pages they are just going to go for the simpler measure that they agree with.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 1:40 PM
nzlockie: My idea world is communist too. But with a splash of ponies and rainbows.
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Apr 3 2014 3:19 PM
Pinkie: Equestria is a theistic monarchy...
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 3:45 PM
ADreamOfLiberty: I'm not talking about Equestria.
Page: 12Most Recent