EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Safe spaces

< Return to subforum
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 8 2017 2:51 PM
Why do people need "safe spaces"? Shouldn't the university be open to different perspectives, even though they may be offensive?

I'll give the definition from urban dictionary, a source of great wisdom:

A place where college students can go if they have been subjected to ideas that differ from the progressive narrative. These safe spaces have pillows, soothing music and an understanding, sympathetic staff. Presumably, this allows them to recover from the trauma; free from any lasting damage resulting from exposure to ideas that conflict with their leftist professors

An imaginary place where overly-sensitive twats retreat to, when they are "assaulted" with ideas that contradict the narrative that was ingrained into their feeble minds
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 8 2017 3:35 PM
Krazy: I personally find safe spaces hilarious at times. "I will now go to my safe space to hide and cope with my insecurities".
Why do people need "safe spaces"?
By googling the definition, it says this:
a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm.
Some feel more confident if they can be away from potential criticism or emotional harm of any sort. Safe spaces can be a lot of things. Like, if you get in a fight with someone and want some alone time, going outside to view the waters away from people can count as a safe space.
Shouldn't the university be open to different perspectives, even though they may be offensive?
Yeah, definitely. I am not sure what this has to do with safe spaces though, I mean, I am sure many university students gravitate towards safe spaces, but I am not sure how big it really is in colleges.
I'll give the definition from urban dictionary, a source of great wisdom:
lol.
A place where college students can go if they have been subjected to ideas that differ from the progressive narrative. These safe spaces have pillows, soothing music and an understanding, sympathetic staff. Presumably, this allows them to recover from the trauma; free from any lasting damage resulting from exposure to ideas that conflict with their leftist professors
Hahaha, that is funny.
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 8 2017 5:18 PM
Bi0Hazard: Like, if you're going to college, what is your goal? Do you want to learn, or only hear your opinion be spoken on campus? A university college campus should not be a daycare. If people want a safe space, that's called home.

My personal view on this, anybody who asks for a safe space should be automatically expelled. Because by asking it you're showing that you don't have a desire to learn.

I am sure many university students gravitate towards safe spaces
Oh man I hope not.

Some feel more confident if they can be away from potential criticism or emotional harm of any sort.
Lol, of course you'll feel more confident about what you believe if nobody's questioning it or criticizing it. And I think the more accurate word is "comfortable", not confident. People want to be comfortable, not educated.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 9 2017 9:04 AM
Krazy: If someone uses safe spaces to hide from debating alternative view points, then that would be close minded and sensitive to other peoples views. However, there can be other reasons for safe spaces too. Like, suffering from discrimination or personal attacks. Maybe you want to clear your mind.
My personal view on this, anybody who asks for a safe space should be automatically expelled. Because by asking it you're showing that you don't have a desire to learn.
Unless you have reasons other than sensitivity or being uncomfortable to other peoples views.

When you used the definition earlier that people use safe spaces if the are exposed to different views than the "progressive narrative", are you saying that only the progressives are using safe spaces to hide and remain comfortable?
What about the Trump supporters and conservatives hiding in safe spaces?

I don't see safe spaces as always a bad thing, but to use it for hiding from other perspectives sounds ridiculous to me. I find it kinda funny, since it is like being too weak to be intellectual, too "insecure".
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 9 2017 4:26 PM
Bi0Hazard: Safe spaces aren't safe for those who have controversial opinions. They're usually for liberals. They don't want to hear the other opinions and they can't argue logically so they just silence the opposition.

However, there can be other reasons for safe spaces too. Like, suffering from discrimination or personal attacks
Attacked by other people's opinions?

Maybe you want to clear your mind
You don't go to school to clear your mind; you go there to fill it.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 9 2017 4:44 PM
Krazy: Safe spaces aren't safe for those who have controversial opinions. They're usually for liberals.
Oh liberals. Most people are liberals these days (the two major parties in the U.S. are liberal parties), so it really doesn't say much.
Attacked by other people's opinions?
Nope, I mean personally attacked and discriminated against.
You don't go to school to clear your mind; you go there to fill it.
You don't need to go to school to use safe spaces.
admin
By admin | Feb 9 2017 8:42 PM
I think there's an environment where people can challenge each other without anyone feeling threatened by that discourse. Unfortunately it's easy to misconstrue that concept. Most people who are anti-safe-spaces are really pro-bullying-somebody. And bullying or harming others is not a type of knowledge that I think should hold value in universities. Even if who you're attacking is a whole group. Basically if both sides feel valued in the discussion, then it's not an attack.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 11 2017 7:14 AM
Bi0Hazard: Most people are liberals these days (the two major parties in the U.S. are liberal parties), so it really doesn't say much
There's not much to say. They act like children who want their mom.

I mean personally attacked and discriminated against
Lol "attacked" is where somebody punches you, gang-up on you and knocks you out. Someone explaining why you're wrong is not you being "attacked".

You don't need to go to school to use safe spaces
Then go home. There should be only one safe space, and that's home. Go there if you want to be comfortable. Don't go into the real world if you're not man enough to handle it.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 11 2017 8:58 AM
Krazy: I guess you don't care about verbal attacks.