EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Recessions and depressions

< Return to subforum
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 13 2016 1:26 PM
There was the great depression in the U.S. back in the 1930s and the 2007-2008 financial crisis.
What is your view on the causes of these massive economic crisis's?
Austrians say it is the low interest rates by the central bank and Keynesians blame it on the animal spirits. Many say it is the combination of many different factors.
What do you think?
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 14 2016 11:41 AM
Animal spirits?
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 16 2016 6:57 AM
Dassault Papillon: The "Animal spirits" is the overall consumer confidence and emotions and instincts that guide people.
According to Keynesian economics, if consumer confidence is driven down and a decrease in spending and increase in savings occurs, the economy will spiral into a depression. Aggregate demand (spending) is key to a successful economy. So, GDP would be seen as the determining factor of economic strength.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 16 2016 7:12 AM
admin
By admin | Dec 16 2016 4:42 PM
Bi0Hazard: There are indeed several causes. Chicago school economists would be rather peeved at you ignoring the great stagflation of the 1970s, too.

The basic problem is what factors most affect the supply and demand of money. I think the biggest cause tends to be greed, people trying to grow their markets too fast, and being hit by a supply shock or something. Governments should not seek to grow their economies at any cost, inflating costs in the process.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!