EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Racism

< Return to subforum
Page: 12345Most Recent
JoMomma
By JoMomma | Jul 28 2016 1:06 PM
Crow: No it's not an equivalency. Two people will create an offspring with a combination of their DNA - every time. Hermaphrodites make up less than 1% of the human population and the chances of any two people producing an hermaphrodite is random.
Crow
By Crow | Jul 28 2016 1:20 PM
JoMomma: Anyways...

The point is that you cannot disprove the existence of a social construct. You can only reject the acceptance of a social construct.

It is legitimate to say that humans should not be classified by race. It is false to say race does not exist, when race is itself a social construct.

The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
JoMomma
By JoMomma | Jul 28 2016 1:38 PM
Crow: You may not be able to disprove that people believe there is such a thing as race, because they do believe it, and it is what makes it a social construct in the first place, but by recognizing the admixture of DNA of humans, one can conclude that race is ONLY a social construct.
Crow
By Crow | Jul 28 2016 1:40 PM
JoMomma: Most things about our reality are social constructs.

For example, you could argue that there is no such thing as a human, and animal and men are one species.
admin
By admin | Jul 28 2016 1:47 PM
Crow: Have you become more nihilist recently?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Jul 28 2016 1:49 PM
admin: What?

It has nothing to do with nihilism. This is a simple fact that disproving a social construct is philosophically impossible. I know you never bought into that, but the only other arguments have been conjecture.
admin
By admin | Jul 28 2016 1:52 PM
Crow: This idea that most things are social constructs kinda implies they're not objectively "real".
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Jul 28 2016 1:53 PM
admin: Obviously.

Social constructs are a perceived reality.
admin
By admin | Jul 28 2016 1:55 PM
Crow: Doesn't that sound a lot like nihilism to you?
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Jul 28 2016 1:57 PM
admin: No.

The whole definition of social constructs are that they are made up. These are just facts.

Social constructs have nothing to do with the meaningfulness of life. Are you sure you know what nihilism means?
JoMomma
By JoMomma | Jul 28 2016 2:01 PM
Crow: Why do you seem so resistant to the idea that the concept of race only has validity because it is a social construct? You have failed to address what people of mixed heritage identify as, in how it relates to the concept of racial classification.
Crow
By Crow | Jul 28 2016 2:03 PM
JoMomma: Why do you seem so resistant to the idea that the concept of race only has validity because it is a social construct?

I am not resistant. That is my position.

Originally the claim was the race did not exist at all.

You have failed to address what people of mixed heritage identify as, in how it relates to the concept of racial classification

The identification is mixed

Like how you classify a mixed breed as a mutt, and specifically declare 30% whatever and 70% whatever.

JoMomma
By JoMomma | Jul 28 2016 2:09 PM
Crow: Well wouldn't that mean there are more than 3 or 4 "races" or that race only exists because it is a social construct that is encouraged? I'd bet that most people are "mutts" given your reasoning. Are Mexicans mutts? What about Brazilians? Moors? Caribbean? Arabs? Puerto Ricans? Mongolians? Pacific Islanders?
Crow
By Crow | Jul 28 2016 2:13 PM
JoMomma: Dogs are called mutts.

Those examples are not mixed races, but rather mixed ethnicities. A mixed ethnicity, becomes a completely different ethnicity, hence Mestizos.

Mixed races also get their own ethnicity. For example, the Berbers were Afro-Arab.
admin
By admin | Jul 28 2016 2:16 PM
Crow: Nihilism is the denial of a reality. You're saying almost everything in life can be reduced to language constructs. That's pretty close to full nihilism, to reduce everything to nothing.
Let's revive the forums!
JoMomma
By JoMomma | Jul 28 2016 2:20 PM
Crow: What if Tiger Wood's offspring
grew up to mate with Kelly Ripa's offspring
?
How would you classify their offspring? I'd classify them as human.
Crow
By Crow | Jul 28 2016 2:21 PM
admin: Nihilism is NOT the denial of reality. It is the rejection of purpose and meaning in regards to life.

A social construct is not a language construct. It is a concept attached to an idea.

Finally, I am actually saying in this thread that social constructs are real. If you had been listening, you would of realized that was my argument.

Crow
By Crow | Jul 28 2016 2:22 PM
JoMomma: How would you classify their offspring? I'd classify them as human.

Yeah, me too.

What is your point now? Are you still arguing race does not exist, or are you arguing that we should not classify people by race?
admin
By admin | Jul 28 2016 2:24 PM
Crow: That would be moral nihilism, not general nihilism.

Both concepts and ideas are languages. Set theory is a language in and of itself.

Oh, so if society believes strongly enough that God exists, that means God actually exists? Isn't a social construct "real" insofar only as it is subjectively experienced?
Let's revive the forums!
JoMomma
By JoMomma | Jul 28 2016 2:30 PM
Crow: Both since we cannot classify people by something that doesn't exist.
Page: 12345Most Recent