EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Gun Rights

< Return to subforum
Page: 1234Most Recent
RXR.
By RXR. | Sep 3 2015 11:56 AM
Since guns aren't human beings, why should they have any rights at all ?
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Sep 3 2015 1:32 PM
RXR.: "Gun Rights" generally refers to the right (which may or may not exist) of civilian individuals to possess firearms and the ammunition needed to utilize guns.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Sep 3 2015 1:34 PM
By the way, I just realized that your current username has a period at the end of it. Are you really RXR or are you somebody else masquerading as him/her?
RXR.
By RXR. | Sep 3 2015 3:26 PM
Dassault Papillon: The username limit exceeds at only 3 letters. Thus why i have a period at the end of my name.
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
admin
By admin | Sep 3 2015 3:38 PM
RXR.: Can confirm, usernames must have at least 4 letters in them.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 3 2015 4:46 PM
Everyone should have a gun. It is an extension of our freedom to have a device which allows us to better defend ourselves.

Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 3 2015 4:52 PM
There is also an art and craft to owning a weapon, whether it be a sword of a firearm.

It doesn't matter if you are a master with the weapon or not, because after awhile it becomes more than just a device, but an expansion of our natural body. The connection we form to weapons is special. They have both the ability to reap life and defend it, and the reason we are so drawn to them is because they remind us of our natural state of chaos and confusion, which is a state we should constantly strive to repossess.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 3 2015 10:15 PM
Sometimes I think that the USA is what happens when you populate a country with 10 year old boys.
Thumbs up from:
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 3 2015 10:51 PM
nzlockie: Sometimes I don't like how your only participation in threads is demeaning the views and ideals in a non intellectual manner.

If you have something to say about gun regulation, then say it, but don't take cheap shots at another persons country.

If we were actually going to rate countries by gun control though, the US is nowhere close to being one of the nations with the least gun regulation.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 3 2015 10:59 PM
BTW, I and the majority of the world believe gun control is a terrible idea, and the majority of people in the world are not 10 year olds.

We have mostly seen the regulation and restriction of weapons in dictatorships or in countries of instability. Most of the measures backfired. During the various revolutions of the 1800's, governments tried to regulate the buying of guns, and areas where this happened consistently had higher civilian casualties. The military can't always protect you.

In times of peace it is even worst to regulate civilian gun ownership, because that is controlling the people's right to self defense and their power to challenge the legitimacy of the state.

I guess the common argument has been guns=crime, but I find this argument to be seriously lacking, and proven false for the most part. Living in metro Detroit, I can confirm that the people who own firearms are the people who the gangs stay away from. They usually prey on the undefended and easy targets. Firearms discourage the rate of crime, and in the right hands can even fight it. Why would that sort of thing need to be controlled?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 3 2015 11:04 PM
And one other thing is that criminals rarely buy their guns at Walmart. Organized criminal factions, or anti-government resistance groups, find other ways to get their weapons.

I even know of gangs and rebels which make their own firearms in makeshift factories built into slums.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 3 2015 11:51 PM
Blackflag:

Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 4 2015 1:58 AM
nzlockie: Can you vocalize your arguments verbally? I mean really, what do you expect me to do, prove you wrong by refuting a video?
admin
By admin | Sep 4 2015 3:59 AM
Blackflag: your only participation in threads is demeaning the views and ideals in a non intellectual manner.
I hope you don't mean to suggest that you've never been guilty of this either.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Sep 4 2015 4:19 AM
Blackflag: I hope you can back up your "majority of the world" stat.

In the USA, it's roughly 50-50 support.

Data from Gallup supports the notion of a slim lead for more gun control

As do a variety of news-media polls

And so does the Economist

That's in the USA. If you think about internationally, it's not much different.

The figures are more or less the same in Europe, despite less debate there:
http://ec.europa.eu/archives/commission_2010-2014/malmstrom/news/what-written/archives/2013/10/20131021_en.htm

Outside of the USA, Europe, and nations that seem largely to be at war with themselves, practically no other country buys firearms en masse for private use.

So I don't see where you'd get this idea from about the majority of the world. There are BILLIONS of people in this world, and the VAST majority of them have never even touched a gun.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 4 2015 7:39 AM

Seriously a bad source. It comes from a site called "Thetruthaboutguns.org" which is dedicated 100% to fighting gun control. US today used their survey.

It only surveyed 1000 people out of a country of over 315 million too. How do you derive 50-50 out of that?

--------------
The real statistic for the US is that 61% of people do not support gun control, and 39% do support gun control, which came from the Library of Congress.

Yeah, looking at this map the only places without a lot of private use guns are the poor third world nations with almost zero freedom.

Look at that map. Being associated with Sweden, Norway, Uruguay, France, Germany, Switzerland, and Canada sounds great.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 4 2015 7:40 AM
The truth is, despite how much that map supports my case, it is false. India has the third most guns per capita in the world, although they got it right with Yemen.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 4 2015 7:41 AM
But come on, I would like to see you argue my actual case rather than extending out a single sentence to refute.
admin
By admin | Sep 4 2015 4:15 PM
Blackflag: No, it comes from USA Today. It was reprinted on that website.

1000 randomly sampled people given a country of 315 million IS approximately a 3% margin of error. That's basic statistics. In general anything over about 300 people will yield a very small margin of error, provided that the sample is truly random.

Can you source the library of congress thing please?

Those "poor third world nations with almost zero freedom" comprise the majority of the world. They support gun control. Your assertion was wrong.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Sep 4 2015 4:16 PM
Blackflag: Then challenge me to a debate and don't forfeit for once.
Let's revive the forums!
Page: 1234Most Recent