EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Terrorism reporting bias

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Feb 13 2015 5:38 PM
So there's this controversy going around after Chapel Hill, where many believe the media has been unfair in not questioning whether an attack on 3 Muslims was a terrorist attack, although a Muslim attack on non-Muslims might have been.

Do you think the media downplays non-muslim people's acts that might be terrorism?
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 13 2015 8:00 PM
admin: Thomas Reuters takes reporting very seriously. To the point where they wont say the word terrorist due to societal biases.
admin
By admin | Feb 13 2015 8:55 PM
Blackflag: What word do they use instead?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Feb 13 2015 9:28 PM
Bias sells papers so yes I think almost all media deliberately use bias when reporting.
admin
By admin | Feb 13 2015 11:05 PM
nzlockie: I for one would pay premiums for genuine attempts at being less biased.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 14 2015 4:12 AM
admin: Publishers wont include anything with militant or terrorist, so writers use the word fighter.
I've been told they have other qwerks they use to ensure completely unbiased coverage. Although it is really hard to eliminate bias on some topics.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 14 2015 4:17 AM
nzlockie: Not true. There is a huge market for actual news coverage. I encourage you to read the comments in a Fox/NBC online article, then go on to read the comments of a Thomson Reuters article. There is a huge intelligence gap. NBC and Fox show bias, which is why they will always maintain lower ratings than a company like BBC. They attract solely one group, either conservatives or liberals, and push away everyone else. That is not a strategic business plan.
Wylted
By Wylted | Feb 15 2015 11:57 AM
These major media outlets own several different companies which are monopolies in their respective fields.my guess is that the bias they generate shapes public opinion in a way that even if harmful for net profit on their media businesses is helpful for profit on other businesses they own.