EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Most overrated Scientist in history

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 13 2014 7:54 AM
Blackflag: Again, we know what the term is. But for us we just call you all yanks. It's the same for most countries. Jaapies, limeys, poms...
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 13 2014 11:09 AM
nzlockie: I'm simply pointing out that the term yankee only applies to those from the north. The term is often used by poor people to reference posh middle or upper class and liberals as well.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 13 2014 1:46 PM
Blackflag: In the USA, that term only refers to the Northern states. Outside of the USA, unless we're feeling particularly politically correct, people who use the term at all use it to mean ALL Americans. I've actually tried to curb the amount I use it since quite often when I'm doing classes over there I let one slip out and then I have to endure a 30 minute explanation about where the term comes from.

As previously mentioned, one of the other real classic countries for this is South Africa. In NZ we call South Africans, "Jaapies" - even though technically that term only refers to the Dutch descent ones. The English descent ones quite often get all huffy and give you a big speel about the difference.

In Aussie they refer to all Kiwis as "Sheep Shaggers" despite the fact that that term really only applies to the expat Aussies that live over here...
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 13 2014 2:35 PM
nzlockie: I presume there are a lot of sheep there?
I am a goat man myself. I may move to the vast, flat open farms of Wisconsin to raise them.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 13 2014 2:47 PM
Blackflag: We have been known to have the occasional Sheep over here, yes. I like Goats. My Mum has a couple of Alpacas too.
admin
By admin | Aug 13 2014 3:23 PM
nzlockie: More like "we have about 20 sheep for every person".
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Aug 20 2014 1:35 AM
nzlockie: I was about to say, Thomas Edison. Calling him a scientist is itself too much praise. He was more like a public relations genius with a large staff of idea-snatchers and dumb-luck 'inventors' at his beckon call.

Plus he was dishonest with Tesla, whom I respect far more.

Ben Franklin was a scientist in the truest sense of the word, and while some may overrate him, he didn't overrate himself; and I think identifying that only one electric charge is fluid was really a glorious breakthrough even if that is the only thing he ever did.
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Aug 20 2014 1:43 AM
Blackflag: "and has one infamous quote!

"America is #1!"

I know such types exist, but I think there is a much more common problem. Americans (even those you might call moderate) are brought up hearing about how free they are (because of course look at all these heroes you ought to worship who worked to make you free).

They have no idea what freedom is, they can't evaluate whether a people or persons have it or lack it; and as such they have transformed it into a kind of intrinsic property of their own mostly arbitrary opinions on how people should behave. This is not an issue with those on the right alone.

The freest people in the world live in Hong Kong right now, but good luck getting the average American (or any other westerner) to admit it.
ADreamOfLiberty
By ADreamOfLiberty | Aug 20 2014 1:47 AM
nzlockie: There have got to be a few Kiwi sheep shaggers ;)
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 2 2014 9:25 PM
Rebecca Black.

Just because she invented the weekdays and a seat-finding algorithm doesn't make her that special.
Page: 12Most Recent