EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

A fetus is a human

< Return to subforum
Ketuvim
By Ketuvim | Jan 29 2016 6:55 PM
Firstly, I want to make myself clear, though I do not agree with abortion, there are certain circumstances where it is acceptable. That being rape, incest, and medical issues. However, having an abortion "just because", or "I don't want to have to take care of my kid", then it is no different than murder. This type of thinking, is the same type of thinking that the feminists are using to justify abortion, they are not justifying it in rape, incest, or medical issues only, they are trying to say that it is OK in any circumstance.

Back during the bronze age of around 3,000-1,000 B.C.E., there was a popular Sumerian religion that worshiped Baal. People would sacrifice their babies to Baal via cooking them alive (getting cooked alive, sounds familiar doesn't it).
Archaeologists wondered how mothers could have their children be cooked alive, and they came to the conclusion, that they were able to have this detestable act done, because they did not consider their babies to be a living human, now this should sound very familiar.

So, no one is arguing that women shouldn't have control of their bodies, they are entitled to complete control over their bodies, however, I am arguing that a fetus is a living human also, and hence is ALSO entitled to complete control over their body, which includes the right not to be cooked alive.
So if you want to argue that women should have control over their bodies, you must argue that babies must have control over their bodies. It is two separate bodies, and hence the baby has rights too, separate from the mother.

Point 1: a fetus is alive:
Now, I will be arguing that a fetus is a living human, and by definition, it is, let's look at the definition of life according to Websters dictionary:
"the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death."

Please note, nowhere in this definition will you see "took a first breath", and all of these definitions, a fetus fits, it can grow, it will be able to reproduce eventually, it will be able to preform functional activity, and it will continue to change until death.

According to biology, life has these characteristics:
1. Grows and develops (check)
2. Capable of reproduction (check)
3. Consumes and uses energy (check)
4. Responds to stimuli (check)

Point 2: a fetus is NOT a clump of cells:
So, I have established that a fetus is alive, now I will establish that it is not a clump of cells, calling a fetus a "clump of cells" is mind boggling, no scientific mind would look at a fetus, and say "meh- it's a bag of cells", calling it a clump of cells is inherently wrong, a fetus is not a clump of cells any more than you or I are clumps of cells.

Because a "clump" suggests that it has no form or organization, a fetus cannot be considered a "clump of cells", because a fetus's cells has organization, and all those cells are working for the survival of the rest of the "clump", hence, the correct term would be a "system of cells", just like you or me.

Point 3: A fetus is a human:
This is very easy to prove, if you sample a fetus's DNA, and test it, what will you find? The genetic material comes from a human, not a baboon, or a buffalo, or a "clump of cells", a HUMAN.
Problem solved, it's genetics are human genetics, it's a human, what else?
It's dad is a human, it's mom is a human, they aren't ducks are they? So, it would logically follow, that their child will be---- A HUMAN! It cannot be a clump of cells, the dad isn't a clump of cells, the mom isn't a clump of cells, so, logically their offspring will be a human, not a clump of cells.
If I get a duck, and another duck, and I breed them, they will give birth to a duck, same with gorillas, eagles, snakes, lions, bears, whales, dolphins, etc, they will give birth to gorillas, eagles, snakes, lions, bears, whales, dolphins, etc.
So, if two humans get together, the only logical outcome, is that their offspring will be a human, NOT a clump of cells.
Thumbs up from:
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 13 2016 4:17 AM
Ketuvim: Firstly, I want to make myself clear, though I do not agree with abortion, there are certain circumstances where it is acceptable. That being rape, incest, and medical issues.

Why would abortion be acceptable in rape/incest?

I'm just trying to grasp the logic: "I got raped, therefore, I will kill my children". If anybody deserves the death penalty, it's the rapist, not the baby.

The only justifiable reason to have an abortion is if it endangers the mother's life; which is essentially self-defense. But that reason is responsible for less than 0.001% of all abortions done in the entire world.
Ketuvim
By Ketuvim | Feb 15 2016 4:46 PM
Krazy: WE MUST CLEANSE THE GENE POOL OF RAPISTS!
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 16 2016 10:16 PM
Ketuvim: What?
Anonymous
By Anonymous | Dec 22 2017 9:58 PM
Ketuvim: Point 3:Fetus is a human infant. Baby in womb are comparable in baby in the world. It's human structure is an evidence, the arrangement of face and organs

Point 4: Abortion is murder. Fetus dies, When you kill you see blood, When you abort you see blood.

Point 5:Fetus are not parasite, Fetus are welcome in the body. Breast for milk, womb for space, Uterus for exit, Placenta for nutrition that keeps it alive, and Fetus moves.

Point 6:The term "Baby in the womb" Women are aware that its their child.
Let's help the poor and the needy. Be voice for the voiceless and hope for hopeless
admin
By admin | Dec 23 2017 9:41 AM
Anonymous: Would you like to debate me on abortion sometime?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Anonymous
By Anonymous | Dec 23 2017 1:27 PM
admin: Sure
Thumbs up from:
Let's help the poor and the needy. Be voice for the voiceless and hope for hopeless
admin
By admin | Dec 23 2017 1:28 PM
Anonymous: Great. I'll send you a challenge after Christmas! :)
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Echo Four
By Echo Four | Dec 24 2017 12:31 PM
I'll judge it.
Thumbs up from:
Cenc
By Cenc | Dec 30 2017 10:16 PM
Ketuvim: That's irrelevant-because if we're talking about abortion, generally speaking, it's the embryo and *not* fetus that is aborted. And at that point, it genuinely is a 'clump of cells'. The vast majority of women who have abortions do so in the early (pre-fetal) stages.
Thumbs up from:
GuitarKirby
By GuitarKirby | Apr 3 2018 4:40 PM
Wait, "capable of reproduction?" Only if you mean that on a purely structural level. Furthermore, bacteria show all signs of life you present here. Alive does not also mean sentient, which is what is actually being called into question. As Cenc said, most abortions are NOT late-term.

A fetus IS a clump of cells. You and I are also a clump of cells. This kind of language is not useful. Whether there is structure is not what is in question. You've admitted that there are situations in which it is appropriate to have an abortion, so why not extend it to a point where the mother is unwilling to care for the "baby," but also doesn't want to subject another human to a barely functioning foster care system?
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Apr 10 2018 10:45 AM
Krazy: Abortion is fine, real people die every day and people care less than if an unborn baby isn't born.
Thumbs up from:
Victory: http://www.edeb8.com/forum/Games/828
Mharman
By Mharman | Apr 23 2018 11:12 AM
Bolshevik-: Red herring.
With Liberty and Justice for all!
Navyav505
By Navyav505 | Dec 30 2019 3:49 AM
Krazy: i agree completely.I don’t think you can judge if a life should live or not based on how it was conceived.
Navyav505
By Navyav505 | Dec 30 2019 3:50 AM
admin: yes i would!!!!
Navyav505
By Navyav505 | Dec 30 2019 3:51 AM
If anyone that’s pro abortion and wants to debate just text me at this number 4703269105
admin
By admin | Dec 30 2019 9:50 AM
Navyav505: I'll send you a challenge :)
Let's revive the forums!