EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Moral Dilemma

< Return to subforum
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Jul 28 2014 11:20 AM
Should actions be treated equally no matter the intentions. I am referring strictly to in-group problems not out-group problems in this scenario.

For example, in this scenario there are two states. The first state is run by a dictator who kills and executes 10,000 with malevolence and extreme prejudice. The dictator kills off the 10,000 for being political dissidents who were potential threats to his rule. The second state is liberal democracy run by elected officials. The state introduces an agricultural program that fails and results in 10,000 of their citizens dying off due to starvation. Should the two states be treated the same? If so why? If not please explain as well. The loss of life in both states are the same but the intentions behind the deaths are different.

NOTE: I am not stating my opinion on the matter.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jul 28 2014 2:53 PM
Tophatdoc: With only a minimum of thought here I think I can state my position.
In my world the motivations make a significant difference - so my position would be that the actions SHOULD take the intention into account.

It's the difference between murder and manslaughter.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Jul 29 2014 1:16 AM
nzlockie: Interesting point.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
admin
By admin | Jul 29 2014 7:16 AM
Tophatdoc: I guess for me, I can't divorce an action from the intention - the intention is part of the action. Two actions with different intentions are not equal. Therefore they should not be treated equally.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Aug 1 2014 11:27 AM
admin: It doesn't seem there is a dissenting opinion, at least not yet.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 1 2014 4:54 PM
Tophatdoc: Were you expecting one?