EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Ask a non-violent Atheist

< Return to subforum
Imbster
By Imbster | Jun 7 2018 3:45 PM
Hello everyone! Just ask me questions concerning atheism and I will answer them, non-violently. I represent the good ones around this world that even the Pope has recently atheists eligible for heaven. That crying boy to Pope video.
WCS7
By WCS7 | Jun 8 2018 4:16 AM
Imbster: Just a quick question (not regarding atheism tho) why does the pope think he has the authority to allow or not allow people into heaven. It is clearly stated the Bible, that the is only one way.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 8 2018 4:30 AM
WCS7: Catholics believe that the Pope is the direct representation of God on earth.

Therefore when he speaks, it is God himself speaking.

Obviously you're right though, there is nothing to substantiate that belief in the actual bible.

Good thing the Pope can add to the bible! ;)
Imbster
By Imbster | Jun 8 2018 12:57 PM
nzlockie: Not so fast my brothers! I believe this has something to do with the bitter history of the earliest Popes of the Middle and Dark Ages. The Pope before had absolute power over church and state under Roman Catholicism. I can pinpoint a good example and those are The Crusades. Pope Urban II told religious men that killing the men of Jerusalem and taking back the city grants them salvation or more accurately, "God wills it!" Their wrathful kills will also be forgiven after battle! This is how I believe an old political/religious ideal still slips into our modern culture, that as you have questioned, the pope thinks he has authority to decide who goes to heaven and not AND the people thinking the pope still holds this authority.
WCS7
By WCS7 | Jun 8 2018 2:18 PM
Imbster: Still, it's unreasonable to suggest he actually wields this power. There is nothing written in the book about it.
Imbster
By Imbster | Jun 8 2018 2:42 PM
WCS7: People have as simple logic that the highest authority of the Roman Church can help them get to heaven! I do agree it is unreasonable but perhaps it is written somewhere in Paul's letters to the different peoples that an appointed high authority of God does wield such power.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 8 2018 3:42 PM
Imbster: it's not.
Imbster
By Imbster | Jun 8 2018 3:44 PM
nzlockie: what's not?we talked about a lot of things that could be disagreed upon.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 9 2018 12:18 AM
Imbster: Its not written in Paul's epistles.

There's no question about why the Pope is seen as able to make divine statements on earth - it's doctrine.

They trace the concept of papal supremacy back to when Jesus told Peter that he was the rock the Jesus would build his church on. Its a complete miss read of that passage, and requires one to ignore numerous other passages that are very clear that such a concept does not exist, but that's definitely where the idea comes from.
Imbster
By Imbster | Jun 9 2018 12:55 AM
nzlockie: I guess since Peter is the first pope. Well then other questions perhaps?
Simplesimon
By Simplesimon | Aug 4 2018 2:20 AM
Imbster: Atheism is a bit of an odd word. It only tells me one thing about you and doesn't really even hint at why you feel that way about that one thing. What has led you to atheism?