EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Existence of God

< Return to subforum
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | May 2 2016 11:03 AM
What are your views on the existence of God?
Why do you believe God does or does not exist?
admin
By admin | May 2 2016 3:36 PM
Bi0Hazard: I believe no God exists, because I have a logical problem with omnipotence. The concept makes no sense.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | May 4 2016 7:40 AM
admin: Why is omnipotence a problem?
admin
By admin | May 4 2016 1:52 PM
Bi0Hazard: Many reasons, simplest being that omnipotence negates itself (like, creating rocks heavier than it can lift).
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | May 5 2016 9:00 AM
admin: Many reasons, simplest being that omnipotence negates itself (like, creating rocks heavier than it can lift).
The question of "Can God create a rock heavier than He can lift?" assumes that He isn't God. One of the characteristics of God is omnipotence, so if He could make a rock heavier than He can lift, then He wouldn't be God.

So that question is essentially asking "Can God not be God?" And of course the answer is no. Omnipotence isn't a problem.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | May 5 2016 10:50 AM
admin: Well, God can't do the logically impossible. Creating a rock heavier than it can lift is logically impossible for God since God is omnipotent. It is logically impossible for an omnipotent being to create a rock it can't lift.
admin
By admin | May 5 2016 2:21 PM
Bi0Hazard: The very fact you and @Krazy disagree about this says something about the weirdness of the notion of omnipotence. For me anyway, it's far simpler to believe in "being good" rather than having to accept any kind of omnipotence with it.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | May 5 2016 2:59 PM
admin: God is a hard concept to understand, it is way over our heads. Just like quantum physics is. I think me and @Krazy agree since we both say its logically impossible for God to make a rock he can not lift.
admin
By admin | May 5 2016 3:52 PM
Bi0Hazard: Same answer, different mechanism. Just because a concept is hard does not make it true.

If you absolutely want me to play a total devil's advocate, a God who could defy logic would be greater than a God who could not (and not greater at the same time, illogically).

But honestly, I don't really care because I don't see why anyone should need to try to understand it. There is no purpose to believing in any given God.
Let's revive the forums!
nolongeractiveuser
By nolongeractiveuser | Jul 14 2016 4:15 PM
I do not believe a god exists. There has been no live evidence to say otherwise. The claims that old testament human beings could live to be 900 years old make no sense in my opinion.