EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Freedom to mock the Islamic Prophet

< Return to subforum
Page: 123456Most Recent
admin
By admin | May 25 2015 6:39 AM
Blackflag: Russia was a state of fear at the time. Certainly in politics, it still is to a significant degree. Although the Orthodox Church wasn't illegal, going was highly discouraged, and of course few wanted to be seen by the party as traitors to their cause - even if it did NOT mean the gulag, it still was another thing that might be used against them one day, you know? So I'd say those who did declare were pretty brave.

Orthodoxy is a fairly private faith in practice. People can hide that kind of thing within their homes.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 25 2015 8:12 AM
The executive has always gotten on fine with the church and still regularly holds consultations, even as policy has differed.
So the majority of the population is atheist and here you are conceding that French policy differs with the Catholic church. Why are you still claiming you are right?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 25 2015 8:20 AM
Since last time you mentioned them they hated on the Ukraine if I remember right (completely the opposite of what Russian media was saying).
Actually I only had brought the subject around one of them and he took a pretty neutral stance.

I don't feel any less uneducated by calling it Russia.
You should. Half the population was not Russian and half the CCCP was usually free of Russian blood at all times. I don't think Russians had as much hegemony over Soviet politics as many people claim.

Extremely underdeveloped? That's like saying religion is extremely underdeveloped in Italy! Russia has one of the oldest and most deeply established churches in the world. Hence why Pentecostalism won't touch Russia - the Orthodox church has a strangehold on that place. You'd probably be burned at the stake for mentioning the reformation.
During the Soviet Union 1 in 3 Orthodox Churches were shut down, and the production of the bible was controlled.

I agree in part, but they were not assholes BECAUSE they were atheist, and they were not necessarily inciting religious hatred towards the orthodox church. And most of those "leaders" had close family who were religious.
I agree with you. The whole thing started out as a joke. I understand correlation and causation.

Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 25 2015 8:22 AM
Russia was a state of fear at the time. Certainly in politics, it still is to a significant degree. Although the Orthodox Church wasn't illegal, going was highly discouraged, and of course few wanted to be seen by the party as traitors to their cause - even if it did NOT mean the gulag, it still was another thing that might be used against them one day, you know? So I'd say those who did declare were pretty brave.
Oh, believe me, I know their were people who had gotten used to lying, but most people probably didn't lie
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 25 2015 8:23 AM
Orthodoxy is a fairly private faith in practice. People can hide that kind of thing within their homes.
BTW, people's names are not on the census just so you know
Page: 123456Most Recent