EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Should Greenland be considered a continent?

< Return to subforum
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 14 2014 8:04 AM
It could be the eigth continent. Who's in favor of nominating Greenland as the eight continent? Who is against? Please explain your answer.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 14 2014 8:15 AM
Dassault Papillon: I'm against.
We don't NEED another continent. This makes it change for change's sake, which I'm not a fan of.
It doesn't have the population to demand it. It's geographical location is not distinct enough, and its political status is not disputed.

Good topic though, if I may be so bold as to highjack it... If Greenland should NOT be considered the eighth continent, what should be? (You have to pick one)

For mine, I think I'd nominate the Middle East as a new continent. Among other things It'd sort out the question once and for all over whether Turkey is part of Europe or Asia!

Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 14 2014 9:47 AM
Greenland can't be scientifically classified as a continent. It is 90% ice, and apart of the North American Teutonic plate.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 14 2014 9:51 AM
nzlockie: Population doesn't matter, as Antarctica's continental status proves. It is an island in the North Atlantic/Arctic, the biggest island in the world. It is not connected to any continent, so it cannot honestly be considered part of North America. It is owned by Denmark, so the Danish people would probably enjoy the ego boost of owning a continent, albeit the eighth and smallest continent.
In size, it's bigger than Mexico (if I recall correctly), so that's a start.

To answer your other question:
1. Central America
2. India
3. Russia (definitely big enough, and Europe's no more continent-ish than Russia)
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 14 2014 9:52 AM
Blackflag: Antarctica is primarily ice. I don't see how that is relevant.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 14 2014 9:57 AM
Dassault Papillon: Antarctica is primarily land
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 14 2014 10:02 AM
the biggest island in the world.
No it isn't

For mine, I think I'd nominate the Middle East as a new continent. Among other things It'd sort out the question once and for all over whether Turkey is part of Europe or Asia!
Europe and Asia aren't actually continents. Eurasia is a continent. Europe just denotes the land of the white christians.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 14 2014 10:53 AM
Blackflag: So you're saying that "Europe" is more of a designation of an area with a specific ethnic and racial demographic?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 14 2014 11:09 AM
Dassault Papillon: Yes, it is a made up continent. Kind of the same thing as making Greenland a continent.
admin
By admin | Dec 14 2014 12:00 PM
Dassault Papillon: Wow. For once somebody makes a popular, somewhat scientific thread, and doesn't put it in the science subforum.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Dec 14 2014 12:02 PM
Blackflag: Teutonic plate? Wasn't that some sort of armor worn half a millennium ago? :P
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 14 2014 12:02 PM
admin: What's your opinion on the topic?
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 14 2014 12:04 PM
Blackflag: So if it was done once, why not again?
admin
By admin | Dec 14 2014 12:06 PM
Dassault Papillon: I don't particularly care. I've always thought the idea of a "continent" is particularly arbitrary and is just another tool people use to impose barriers on each other, to the exclusion of those from other "continents", and alternately to promote friendship within the same continent. It has very little real basis. On the other hand I would support Greenlanders' right to self-determination on the issue.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 14 2014 12:09 PM
admin: I agree. I don't particularly care.

On the other hand I would support Greenlanders' right to self-determination on the issue
Good debate topic which divides many people.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 14 2014 12:15 PM
I feel like INAB is trying to shoot down objections without actually providing reasons on why Greenland should be a continent
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 14 2014 12:45 PM
Blackflag: Because it'd be cool to add an eighth continent.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 14 2014 1:05 PM
Dassault Papillon: ...
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 15 2014 1:02 PM
Europe and Asia are continents. You can contest their right to be if you like, but they are both accepted continents.

@Imnotabench - I get that you don't HAVE to have a big population to be a continent - I was just saying that if Greenland had a population of, say, 1 billion people, that would add more weight to the argument that they should be made distinct from Europe.
I was also adding in the idea of ethnic diversity there, as in they don't have the KIND of population to demand it. Had their population been small but very distinctive from the rest of the world, then, again, that would add more weight to the argument.

I just don't really see any good reason to add an eighth continent. I'm not sure what would be cool about it.