EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Whoop! Who's coming?

< Return to subforum
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Nov 25 2014 6:13 AM
Just sent in my "expression of interest"!

Pretty exciting! This'll be my first one!

http://www.icv26.com.au/index.html
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 25 2014 7:01 AM
nzlockie: Sorry, can't make it :D
I think there was a flag convention where I was once, but I was busy that day.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 25 2014 7:02 AM
nzlockie: I think we both have a passion for flags. I really can't explain it.
They just symbolize so much about factionality.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Nov 25 2014 7:08 AM
Blackflag: It's true that they're pretty awesome.

I've wondered why I like flags so much. I think it's because I really like being able to "snapshot" things, by which I mean, condense all the meaningful attributes into one handy summary. Good flags do that. They're like flash cards for countries.

I came into flags through more traditional heraldry which is probably why I tend to like the flags that represent more accurately, rather than just look good.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 25 2014 7:12 AM
nzlockie: I'm not as into the symbolism as I am the concept itself.
It is cool that a flag represents an entire nation, group, ect.
admin
By admin | Nov 25 2014 10:30 AM
nzlockie: Hey I'm actually travelling to Europe about that time. Possible stopover idea.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Nov 25 2014 11:01 AM
admin: Cool - where you going? Work or pleasure?
admin
By admin | Nov 25 2014 11:21 AM
nzlockie: Pleasure. Totally need time off after what will be about 3 years of solid work by then (with a little bit of edeb8 on the side).
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Nov 25 2014 11:21 AM
Also - specific locations not 100% decided.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Nov 25 2014 11:26 AM
admin: Actually, now you mention it, I remember you talking about this a while ago!

I have one trip to Europe planned for May next year, but I'll hpefully book another one later in the year as well. It's looking like it'll be mostly the US in 2015. (boo)
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Dec 26 2014 5:01 PM
nzlockie: The US isn't that bad.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 26 2014 10:01 PM
Pinkie: Actually having recently experienced yet more of your country outside of the beaten track, id have to agree with you.
Kentucky was positively excellent, despite being very cold. I was working with a nice man from Washington state too!

Next year I have trips semi-confirmed to Virginia (x2), Arizona and probably Boston, so I'm looking forward to that as well. As long as I don't have yet another conference in Vegas!

I'm able to agree that the US isn't THAT bad now, but it's still worse than my main alternative, which is Europe. Thanks to this last trip, I can honestly say it's better than Australia.
Also you have to remember that when I visit, it's for work and that puts a whole different spin on things. Your airlines are really bad compared to the other places I go, and your hotels can be very hit and miss. It's also hard for me to find decent food there, since I usually don't have transport, or a guide. I'm sure my experience would be different if I was there for a holiday...
Thumbs up from:
Joepbr
By Joepbr | Dec 28 2014 4:50 PM
nzlockie: I hadn't realized that there were several people into vexillology here. I used to be interested in it a while ago, I even made my own alternative versions for the flags of New Zealand and Australia, and my profile pic is the flag of my city/district (which is one of the best flags I know).
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 28 2014 5:00 PM
Joepbr: Haha - yeah I'd guessed you were probably from Brasilia based on that. I'd be keen to see your alternate flags for NZ and Oz... what motivates a guy from Brazil to redesign NZ and Australia's flags?
Joepbr
By Joepbr | Dec 29 2014 12:07 PM
nzlockie: Well, technically I'm not from Brasilia, I moved there wen I entered college a couple years ago.
When I heard about the flag debate in New Zealand and Australia I decided to make my own versions just for fun. I think that you do need something more relatable and distinct as a flag, although I'm not sure if my versions are successful in that.
See for yourself:

?t=1419814245

?t=1419814249

I also made flags for several other countries, my favorite one was Zimbabwe:

?t=1419815014