EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Eternal Oblivion

< Return to subforum
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 18 2016 7:08 AM
Every night when my family goes to bed I start thinking of eternal oblivion, and panicking. My heartbite goes up, and I feel like barfing and giving up on everything in life because of the pointlessness of it all. I can't sleep amd I feel guilty for reproducing and condemning my kids to having to face eternal oblivion. How does everyone cope with this?
admin
By admin | Dec 18 2016 7:11 AM
Wylted: Sounds a lot like anxiety.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Random Stranger
By Random Stranger | Dec 18 2016 7:50 AM
Wylted: Who says that you will face eternal oblivion?
I'm probably the person next to you.
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 18 2016 8:03 AM
Random Stranger: The bible. If you are going from a rekigious angle. In Revelationhow, Jesus says that all things will come to an end. If you are atheist than the eternal oblivion scenario obviously seems most likely according to Occam's Razor
Random Stranger
By Random Stranger | Dec 18 2016 8:59 AM
Wylted: Yes, according to Revelation, everything will come to an end, in the physical sense. That doesn't mean that we all just disappear. Humans will still have conscious, whether they are in heaven or hell.
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 18 2016 9:06 AM
Random Stranger: You are in denial. It says everything, with no qualifiers mentioned. So that would include your consciousness.
Random Stranger
By Random Stranger | Dec 18 2016 10:30 AM
Wylted: Rev 21:1 Then I saw "a new heaven and a new earth," for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

It doesn't say "And then everyone ceased to exist" It just means the locations were new.
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 18 2016 11:25 AM
Random Stranger: I'm referring to the part that says everything has a beginning and an end. Everything would include even the new heaven and earth. Even existence itself.
Random Stranger
By Random Stranger | Dec 18 2016 1:25 PM
Wylted: Could you give me the exact verse on that? Wouldn't that mean that mean God would eventually end?
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 18 2016 1:36 PM
Random Stranger: Yes it would. I will have to reread revelation. It had been atleast 15 years since I seen the verse, but I know it is in there. It is possible something got lost in translation as well, so the meaning is different than what exactly is said. I wil get back to you after I read the chapter which should take just a few minutes.
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 18 2016 1:50 PM
Random Stranger: Revelation 1:8. Though this translation is not the same as the one I had as a kid. This variation says God is the end of all things, which is a nice way of saying all things end.
Random Stranger
By Random Stranger | Dec 18 2016 2:28 PM
Wylted: The literal translation says “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God..." Alpha and Omega are the ends of the Greek alphabet, like A and Z. The rest of of the verse says "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.” It sounds to me like it means that He encompasses all things, at least to me.
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 18 2016 2:38 PM
Random Stranger: How do you know that is the literal translation?
Random Stranger
By Random Stranger | Dec 18 2016 2:48 PM
Wylted: Think about it. It would be nearly impossible to translate "beginning and end" to "Alpha and Omega," but it makes sense to translate "Alpha and Omega" to "beggining and end" so that readers could understand the passage without a knowledge of the Greek alphabet. The "Alpha and Omega" translation appears in the NIV.

You can see the verse in any translation here .
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 18 2016 2:52 PM
Random Stranger: I guess but I thought everyone knew the greek alphabet.
Random Stranger
By Random Stranger | Dec 18 2016 3:12 PM
Wylted: Well, anyway; maybe you can sleep a little better tonight.
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 19 2016 12:36 AM
Random Stranger: Nope, my faith in God is not that strong.
Random Stranger
By Random Stranger | Dec 19 2016 2:34 AM
Wylted: Why do you have that profile picture?
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 19 2016 2:42 AM
Random Stranger: Because I considered myself a satanist for a while, and now I am on the road a lot and it is hard to edit my profile on this cheap cellphone.
Polymath
By Polymath | Dec 19 2016 8:37 PM
Random Stranger: God is saying " I am ALPHA ( the first ) and OMEGA ( the last ). He is simply rubbing humanities nose in its mortality.