EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Opinions that shock people

< Return to subforum
Page: 123457Most Recent
Crow
By Crow | Aug 11 2016 5:41 AM
JoMomma: Trump tries all the time to lose support, in my opinion. The ironic thing is it actually wins him support, and this is another reason that I hold the opinion that I do.

He has been making a fool out of himself since the 80's.

He really isn't acting like a radically different person in the course of this election.
Thumbs up from:
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
Famousdebater
By Famousdebater | Aug 11 2016 5:42 AM
Crow: Beyond that, there are those who interpret text as literal and as figurative

What else could this possibly mean?

Quran 47.4 Behead and slaughter the unbelievers; take others captive

This isn't a matter of interpretation. It's a blatant instruction to behead people. Whether or not most Muslims believe this is irrelevant. The fact is that Islam (the religion) is telling people to behead people.
Famousdebater from DDO.
Crow
By Crow | Aug 11 2016 5:42 AM
Famousdebater: Yes. And I asked you to justify your opinion. You can't just have an opinion and then say you have that opinion because you pulled it out of thin air. You must have some reason for holding this belief and I'm asking for that.

More deja vu.

Yesterday's debate with admin, except he was taking it a step further and saying there was no reason for his beliefs.
Thumbs up from:
JoMomma
By JoMomma | Aug 11 2016 5:44 AM
Famousdebater: You missed the reason I stated in my post, that I hold the opinion that I do about Trump. There are numerous reasons I think it is a possibility. Just because I think something is likely a possibility, doesn't mean I swear to it. I theorize about many things; some I turn out to be wrong on, but other times I am correct.
Thumbs up from:
Crow
By Crow | Aug 11 2016 5:47 AM
Famousdebater: What else could this possibly mean?

Ask an Islamic theologian. There are tons of them whose sole job is to cast a more positive perception of the more controversial messages in the Quran.

It's a blatant instruction to behead people.

It is just words on paper.

Whether or not most Muslims believe this is irrelevant. The fact is that Islam (the religion) is telling people to behead people.

It is perfectly relevant. Your problem is with one specific translation of the Quran. Not islam.

The same things can be found in Christian, Jewish, Hindu, and Buddhist written lore.
Thumbs up from:
JoMomma
By JoMomma | Aug 11 2016 5:52 AM
Crow: No, he's not acting much different, I agree, but if you view the photo of the Clintons at Trump's wedding in 2005, they seem closer than just casual acquaintances. Trump's daughter and Chelsea are close friends as well.
?h=174&w=350
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 11 2016 6:02 AM
Famousdebater: You can't generalize a religion into being a religion of violence. Most Muslims are not terrorists.
The verses you quote are all usually taken to be historical. The prophet and followers fought wars. They don't mean that we should always behead other people.
Your interpreting it in your own way.
Thumbs up from:
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 11 2016 6:06 AM
Famousdebater: Quran 47.4 Behead and slaughter the unbelievers; take others captive

This isn't a matter of interpretation. It's a blatant instruction to behead people. Whether or not most Muslims believe this is irrelevant. The fact is that Islam (the religion) is telling people to behead people.

Here:
Reading verse 4 of chapter 47 of the Quran, the passage was revealed at a time in Madinah, when people were told to fight against tyranny and persecution, 1400 years ago. When we take a closer look towards the end of the verse it says, “those who are killed in the cause of Allah”, these same words are used in the following verses of the Quran,

Quran 2:190 Fight in the way of God those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. God does not like transgressors.

So, reading the above verses it becomes evident that Q 47:4 does not encourage violence against the innocent. This shows, Quran 47:4 was revealed to fight in God’s cause in order to free people from oppression and tyranny, 1400 years ago.
https://discover-the-truth.com/2014/10/27/quran-473-4-in-the-cause-of-allah/

Words on paper are always a matter of interpretation. Your always interpreting what people say and make assumptions.
Thumbs up from:
Famousdebater
By Famousdebater | Aug 11 2016 6:27 AM
Crow: Ask an Islamic theologian. There are tons of them whose sole job is to cast a more positive perception of the more controversial messages in the Quran.

I have. The only response I've had is that the punishments are outdated.This is because there aren't really any massively different translations to that passage. It is very blatantly said. I haven't spoken to an Islamic theologian who is able to deny that specific quote because it's always translated to (more or less) the same thing.
Famousdebater from DDO.
Famousdebater
By Famousdebater | Aug 11 2016 6:36 AM
Bi0Hazard: I'm not saying that all Muslims are terrorists. I can't stress that enough. I'm not against Muslims at all. I'm against Islam. Islam is the religion. Muslims are the people. I don't like what the religion of Islam promotes. I know that most Muslims aren't terrorists and I am friends with Muslims. My problem is that the things that the Quran says are inappropriate.
Famousdebater from DDO.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 11 2016 6:40 AM
Famousdebater: Most Muslims don't interpret the Qur'an the way you do.
Famousdebater
By Famousdebater | Aug 11 2016 6:50 AM
Bi0Hazard: Your always interpreting what people say and make assumptions.

Responding to one of the quotes isn't enough. And regardless, it gets to a point where you get suspicious that so many quotes from the Quran seem to indirectly imply inappropriate messages such as beheading and discriminatory behavior. You can use the excuse of misinterpretation if something inappropriate was implied once or twice but there are hundreds of quotes like the ones that I listed. That cannot be coincidental.
Famousdebater from DDO.
Famousdebater
By Famousdebater | Aug 11 2016 6:50 AM
Bi0Hazard: That's because most Muslims wouldn't be Muslims if they did.
Famousdebater from DDO.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 11 2016 7:25 AM
Famousdebater: These all have to do with the past struggles of the followers and prophet. Trying to free themselves from oppression and tyranny. Beheading innocent people and mass murder just isn't part of their religion.
It's funny, in the past, the colonies fought for independence from the British and many were killed and most don't complain about that.
If it is a religion with a terrorist group affiliated with it, then it changes. Suddenly, the religion itself becomes evil.
Famousdebater
By Famousdebater | Aug 11 2016 7:40 AM
Bi0Hazard: There are terrorist groups associated with Christianity and Judaism (the two other Abrahamic religions). Very few people refer to them as religions of terror. The point is that those terrorist groups are being illogical and misinterpretive of their own religion. With Islam it's slightly different. The terrorists aren't actually misinterpreting the text. The text is very strongly implying messages promoting horrendous acts of misogyny and violence.
Famousdebater from DDO.
Crow
By Crow | Aug 11 2016 11:54 AM
Famousdebater: The point is that those terrorist groups are being illogical and misinterpretive of their own religion.

I would like to know what you are defining every religion as being. The text and the text alone?

That isn't true for Christianity and Judaism, and it certainly is not true for Islam.

With Islam it's slightly different. The terrorists aren't actually misinterpreting the text. The text is very strongly implying messages promoting horrendous acts of misogyny and violence.

It isn't different at all.

Have you met @Krazy ? He is a bible literalist and wants Deuteronomy law. He isn't in a small group of people that think this way. It is probably close to several hundred million through The Americas, Europe, Africa, and Asia that share his hardcore fundamentalist sentiments.

Thumbs up from:
cooldudebro
By cooldudebro | Aug 11 2016 1:47 PM
I am against gay marriage.
I am against abortions in all cases except potential death for the mother in the case of something going wrong with the pregnancy.
I am against the transgender movement.
I am against the LGBT movement in a lot of their ideas.
I believe that the UN's power should be checked or the USA should leave the UN.
I believe that third wave feminism is not good for America and should be fought tooth and nail.
I believe that children need a mother and a father.
I believe in slut shaming.
I believe the "Black Lives Matter" movement is a joke. (Not literal. Metaphorical)
I don't believe in the "Big Bang"
I believe being a voluntary single mother (With the exception of when the father performs spousal/child abuse and things along those lines) should be discouraged.
I believe welfare should drastically be cut and regulated,
I believe that we should have slightly higher military spending.
I believe Affirmative Action is a joke. (Again, metaphorically)
I believe we should tax the rich less.
(Many more but I don't want to flood the forum with this)
Crow
By Crow | Aug 11 2016 1:49 PM
cooldudebro: I believe in slut shaming.

This is the only controversial view in that list.

admin
By admin | Aug 11 2016 1:58 PM
JoMomma: That single moms aren't the cause of most of America's economic and social turmoil.
Uhm ... who does this shock?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
cooldudebro
By cooldudebro | Aug 11 2016 1:59 PM
Crow: Well, it's for a good reason.
Page: 1234567Most Recent