EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Idea for winner-deciding rule change

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
admin
By admin | Dec 25 2014 6:26 PM
nzlockie: Woo hoo. Somebody who gets it.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 26 2014 8:30 AM
admin: Yet con won this debate
http://www.edeb8.com/debate/That+incestual+marriage+should+be+legalized+/
admin
By admin | Dec 26 2014 1:24 PM
Blackflag: Huh. I will need to look into why that was.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 26 2014 2:30 PM
admin: Well hopefully you can resolve it, or tie it, because LOC took a elo hit. We have to stay competitive with the secular society
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 26 2014 2:32 PM
From Joepbr after his inquiry into losing our tied debate: doesn't sound very fair
admin
By admin | Dec 26 2014 2:33 PM
Blackflag: Haha lol - there's a secular society? OK, I'll get on it. And your thing with Krit too.
Let's revive the forums!
Joepbr
By Joepbr | Dec 27 2014 3:57 PM
nzlockie: I like no ties. If Pro is not negated, then they SHOULD win.

This is only true when Con is the one that has the burden of proof, which doesn't always happen.
If the resolution is like "Stealing is not wrong" then Pro is the one that has the BoP and Con is the one that must be negated.
And there are also many debates with a shared BoP in which giving the victory to any side would be entirely arbitrary.

Maybe there could be an option of choosing who has the BoP when setting the rules of the debate, the side that doesn't get the BoP has the advantage in the case of a tie, and if the case of a shared BoP, a tie would stay as a tie. Although there are many debates where defining the BoP is part of the debate, so there could be an option for "disputed" BoP, which would have the same effect as a shared one.
admin
By admin | Dec 27 2014 10:25 PM
Joepbr: This is only true when Con is the one that has the burden of proof, which doesn't always happen.

Are you sure you didn't mix this up? If con has the BOP (which actually almost never happens), and pro is not negated, then isn't it quite probable that con has failed their BOP by failing to answer pro's argument?
Let's revive the forums!
Page: 12Most Recent