EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Can you make new arguments in the final round

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 12:19 PM
I conceded to all his points in this debate, and I just discovered it is two rounds. Drafterman literally can't refute anything I write.
What's the policy on this? If it is unacceptable, then there is no point continuing the debate.
http://www.edeb8.com/debate/secret-topic-24/
whiteflame
By whiteflame | Oct 23 2014 1:20 PM
Blackflag: I'd say it's unaxce
admin
By admin | Oct 23 2014 1:20 PM
Blackflag: I think it's acceptable but I wouldn't count the arguments as highly as if they had been made earlier. Basically the more opportunity for clash the more I value that argument. But I mean, edeb8 does support 1 speech/side debates, so the way I see it, there must be a way for one side or the other to win a debate like that.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
whiteflame
By whiteflame | Oct 23 2014 1:22 PM
Blackflag: Sorry about that. I'd say it's unacceptable. You had the opportunity to make arguments in the first round, and while there are only two rounds, the basic rules still apply. It's not really a fair debate if you get to argue your case without providing any opportunity for rebuttals.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 1:42 PM
I'm going to concede the debate, as I agree it is unfair. I did introduce the arguments early, and I do think there is some strategy to be said for two round debates. Not certain.
drafterman
By drafterman | Oct 23 2014 1:48 PM
Jesus fuck. You waste a week of my life and haven't don't anything and are going to concede? God damnit.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 23 2014 2:34 PM
drafterman: Profanity is against site policy.
#1 - I didn't waste a week of your life. You did, by making the debate one week long.
#2 - You made the debate 2 rounds. In my experience, that's not actually a debate
#3 - I do apologize for having to concede, but what else do I do? Technically you have won fair and square.
admin
By admin | Oct 23 2014 3:07 PM
drafterman: He isn't lying about the profanity thing. Don't let me see you do it again.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
drafterman
By drafterman | Oct 23 2014 9:12 PM
Blackflag: #1. Uh... I didn't make the debate. It was one of those secret topic ones.
#2. Again, I didn't make the debate.
#3. What can you do? Oh, I don't know: how about submit you're argument? It's 4k characters. You can't come up with 4k characters in 6 days? But you have time do gab on the shout box and send me spam? If you can't commit to a debate, don't accept them. If you accept and find you can't do it, then forfeit instead of letting the timer run out.
admin
By admin | Oct 23 2014 9:38 PM
drafterman: People should learn the difference between a secret topic and a random debate.

Drafterman, we need to have a debate one day on here!
Let's revive the forums!
drafterman
By drafterman | Oct 23 2014 9:55 PM
admin: What topics interest you at the moment?
admin
By admin | Oct 23 2014 10:01 PM
drafterman: Just about anything interests me lol :D I'm trying to limit myself to no more than 4-5 debates at a time but a few of mine are finishing next week if you're keen. I'm sure we can figure out a topic between now and then.
Let's revive the forums!