EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Who Comes to EDEB?

< Return to subforum
Darth Vitiosus
By Darth Vitiosus | Oct 17 2014 10:16 AM
I was having a three way discussion with two other DDOers a few days ago on Skype and EDEB8 came up. Both DDOers have accounts on this site and one claimed to have participated in a debate or two earlier this year. The discussion ended up being why would anyone leave DDO for EDEB8. After all, usually there is usually only one or two people who constantly post here in the forums. Versus DDO where there are various people who comment and there is a better community of people. We came to the conclusion that there are two types of people that come to EDEB8; the weird and the unwanted.

1. The Undesirables of DDO. The trolls and immature brats who clash with Imabench tend to gravitate here. Some people who post here are disliked intensely at DDO from what all three of us perceived. A good amount of whom constantly annoyed the DDO moderators or were at the end of being moderated. This group of people would be the unwanted.

2. Debate Connoisseurs. This would be people who come here for tag team debates, coaching, and possibly the site's features. This would be the weird folks.

Are these categories true?

I think the first category of people is true without question from my experience here. I would place myself in the second category since I told admin I would join the site after I interviewed him and found out the site's features. I think EDEB8 has better site features than DDO. But in terms of site membership, DDO wins.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Oct 17 2014 10:42 AM
Darth Vitiosus: I'd agree with that assessment although I'd contest the "weird" moniker.

I don't think there's ever been any doubt about it actually. Edeb8 has always about the debate. If I wanted a social experience I'd use Facebook.

I'd gladly accept the title of site for debate connoisseurs.
Darth Vitiosus
By Darth Vitiosus | Oct 17 2014 10:54 AM
nzlockie: Personally, I associate connoisseur with "weird." I normally think of person who knows so much about the topic that when they speak that it sounds foreign to a normal person. I would call most scientists,most experts, and most fanatics "weird"as well lol.

I disagree with your Facebook point though. I think people are looking to socialize about debate specifically when they go to debate site forums. You can't get the same experience at Facebook or Yahoo Answers. Responses tend to be more drawn out with evidence rather than just conjecture in debate site forums.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Oct 17 2014 11:17 AM
Darth Vitiosus: OK. I don't really go to DDO so I don't know what they talk about.
Whenever I do go there they seem to be swapping made-up stories about themselves and doing those ama things. My comment wasnt directed at DDO at all. I was saying that when I go to a debate site, I want to debate. Edeb8 does that for me.

I don't think there's any doubt that that site places more focus on the social aspect and the "light" stuff like polls and opinions than this site does. All that stuff generates a large user base. And that's cool if that's what you want.

As long as the public perception is that Edeb8 is a site for debate connoisseurs, I'm happy.

Darth Vitiosus
By Darth Vitiosus | Oct 17 2014 11:38 AM
nzlockie: I would say it depends on the subforum you go to...........but..........

NO, no opinions and no poll sections should ever be here.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Oct 17 2014 11:47 AM
Darth Vitiosus: I'm sure it does. Like I said, I don't really go to DDO.