EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

More Random Topics

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 1 2014 12:01 PM
I feel this needs to be brought up. On DDO, the three largest debate categories were Politics, Society, and Religion.
Almost all the random topics have to do with Society and Politics. This is concerning.

I have a duel proposal
- We increase the amount of random topics generated by three. I feel there should be a lot more topics available to be taken on the main page.
- We introduce more diverse topics. I have some good religion one's, and it is in my opinion, vital we attract more religion and philosophy debaters.

In doing this, we can keep people like gree000 and Starless on the site and debating. Thoughts? Oh, and I thought I should bump this topic so it isn't forgotten either.
http://www.edeb8.com/forum/EDEB8.com+Site/400/0/#post8079
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Oct 1 2014 12:38 PM
Blackflag: Always a fan of more topics in the pool.

I have to say I do like the fact that almost all of the existing pool has come from the worlds. It gives me the confidence that regardless of how it looks, both sides are arguable.

If we CAN get the pool large enough, we may get to the stage where people can qualify their random topic by selecting a category. The site can then generate a random topic pulled from that category.
This allows us to put some specific religious ones in there, for example, within Christianity, there are the topics of election, predestination, transubstantiation... all of which require certain presuppositions making them less than ideal for just anyone to argue.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 1 2014 12:46 PM
nzlockie: Agreed. If there was a dozen topics for each category...

Art
Creative
Economics
Edeb8
Education
Games (This category probably shouldn't exist)
Humor
Life
Politics
Religion
Science
Society
Technology

We would be attractive to every type of debater. I think lars first priority should be implementing more "Religion" debates. I don't think there are any religious debates that are built on the assumption that a god already exists, so maybe Christian and Islam would make good categories.
admin
By admin | Oct 2 2014 2:15 AM
Blackflag: Would you like to suggest a few topics?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 2 2014 4:48 AM
admin: I can suggest dozens of topics. I'll send them in the form of message.
admin
By admin | Oct 2 2014 4:49 AM
Blackflag: Cool! :D

I might add a few more as well from a few tournaments I've seen recently.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!