EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Video debates

< Return to subforum
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 30 2014 3:16 PM
I'm enjoying the current video debate that's going on and it's made me wonder about some of the rules/conventions around this style of debate...

1. When judging this kind of debate, should I be factoring in "presentation"? In other words, how clearly the person actually communicated their ideas (accents aside) and even their delivery style?

2. When participating in this style of debate, is it permitted to use visual aids - such as a white board or photos?

I'm guessing I already know the answer to both of these, but I just wanted to be clear...

Thanks!

BTW: Admin and NerdPol - really enjoying the debate!
admin
By admin | Mar 30 2014 4:09 PM
nzlockie: Thanks!

1. Different styles will weight delivery differently. In general things that the debater can't control should not be weighted (for example, camera quality, vocal accent, how good they look), but other things are fair game. New Zealand and Australia generally have 45 or so points per round for manner, 45 or so for matter, and 10 for strategy, though we focus on manner more than most countries.

2. Depends on the style. Usually no but to be honest, I think it matters little in an online debate like this.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 30 2014 11:05 PM
admin: Ahh good, that clears it up a bit.
I'd guessed the first one right but I was wrong on the second... I'd have assumed that those sorts of things were fine.
If I do one, I guess I'll just check first or clarify it in the rules.
Thanks!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 1 2014 3:30 PM
nzlockie: I think visual aids are great. I know I've needed to explain charts because it was against the rules too actually show them during tournaments. I don't see why they would be seen as bad.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.