EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Another project

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
admin
By admin | Mar 24 2014 2:02 PM
Hey everyone,

So as you know, I've developed EDEB8 pretty much on my own in my spare time. I'm immensely proud of it and fully intend to keep developing it further over the coming months. The site has grown very well, and it has a lot of potential still to go. Over the coming weeks you can look forward to broadcast HTML for team debates, allowing chat to function over multiple tabs, smilies in chat and messages, forum formatting in messages, gender options and more. Those of you who know me will understand how much I love debate and would like to keep that growing.

EDEB8 is all about formal debates on the internet, something I think other websites don't do so well. But there are other kinds of debates that are also not done very well on other sites. You may have noticed, on DDO, a bunch of things like writer's debates, music challenges, photography contests and so on. I call them "creative contests". Personally I prefer formal debate - THIS SITE IS STILL MY #1 PRIORITY (outside of professional work) - but I also think these creative contests have a lot of potential not being captured by existing sites like DDO or EDEB8. And yeah, they're fun too. I know I personally have grown more as a musician through doing a couple of short music battles on DDO than years of music teaching.

The value proposition of the site I'm planning is this: it's like a social network for creatives (like DeviantArt), combined with the competitive features of EDEB8. It's a way to challenge yourself, get valuable critiques, hone your skills, and show off your creative talent to the world. It's that system of critiques and challenges that no other site has, but that's really useful for creative people. And for fans out there, it's a way to connect with artists and discover new stuff.

Oh, and one day I intend to offer paid memberships for THAT site, to help fund EDEB8's server costs. Customers would get increased exposure on the site, and other goodies. Probably at an affordable price point of around $5/month, and possibly a more expensive tier as well if there's demand for it. That can, in part, help pay for EDEB8 costs to keep EDEB8 free.

So this website (which one day will be at http://www.creative-contest.com ) is still likely about four or five months out (and this has been in the planning for about one month already). I'm basically finalizing my plans for it and the designs for the code that runs it. It would be good to gather some feedback from you guys! Might not be something you'll be interested in (I fully understand that), but I'd still like to hear your thoughts on what would make it awesome.

And in the meantime, I hope you enjoy the cool stuff I've got planned for EDEB8. Oh, and my GMO Salmon argument. No really, it's coming!

I hope this won't be a controversy. I just want to end with this: EDEB8 will always come first, the other site won't affect this one.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
JDSFDSFfsa
By JDSFDSFfsa | Mar 25 2014 12:38 AM
I like this idea. I don't know of a website that was geared specifically to allow for contests. Most other websites either have contests as a tiny side feature, or have no official contest option and instead just has people using their forums to host contests. Also, do you plan on adding a donation feature or advertising to edb8 in the future?
JH1234L
Nerd Politico
By Nerd Politico | Mar 25 2014 12:48 AM
admin: That sounds really fun. Good luck!
admin
By admin | Mar 25 2014 1:05 AM
JDSFDSFfsa: Thanks for the feedback folks! :D

Advertising - Probably not. I don't think it's a good revenue model, and it's annoying as anything to maintain.
Donations - Possible. I'm keeping this one among my options if I need it. But for now the site doesn't need revenue raising - everything's paid for a while yet, unless the site becomes massively more popular.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 1:56 PM
admin: How much more popular?
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
admin
By admin | Apr 3 2014 1:58 PM
Pinkie: Don't want to exactly reveal this for security reasons, but know that it's about 30 times more popular. Which I doubt will happen soon.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 2:07 PM
admin: How would that affect the security?
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 2:08 PM
admin: How would that affect the security?
admin
By admin | Apr 3 2014 2:09 PM
Pinkie: People trying to use up all of the server resources to take edeb8 down.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 2:14 PM
admin: That would be terrible!
Bullish
By Bullish | Apr 7 2014 6:46 AM
I have to say, this site is looking impressive. There are many useful features on here than I would have liked on DDO. The aesthetics have also improved significantly since the last time I checked Edeb8 out. Although the site can be slow at times and it looks too similar to DDO.
I n s i g n i f i c a n c E
admin
By admin | Apr 7 2014 7:51 AM
Bullish: "Although the site can be slow at times"
It actually runs on average about 3x faster than ddo, largely due to lack of ads.

"it looks too similar to DDO"
Feel free to suggest improvements!
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 7 2014 7:54 AM
admin: Sometimes I feel like i m the only one here who hasn't been on ddo. What I see of that site from the outside must be very different to what's on the inside, because I don't see how this looks like ddo at all!
admin
By admin | Apr 7 2014 7:55 AM
nzlockie: No, it's pretty much the same from the inside as the outside.
Let's revive the forums!
Bullish
By Bullish | Apr 7 2014 8:25 AM
admin: "It actually runs on average about 3x faster than ddo, largely due to lack of ads."

I don't have that experience. Must be the location.

"Feel free to suggest improvements!"

I've always like black backgrounds because they're easy on the eyes and save electricity, and calms me. Although that may be too drastic of a visual change.
I n s i g n i f i c a n c E
admin
By admin | Apr 7 2014 12:32 PM
Bullish: Weird, because that's based on testing with an automatic proxy server in Texas, US.

"I've always like black backgrounds"

Like http://www.edeb8.com/group/Magni+Moderatoris+de+Futuro you mean?
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 7:47 AM
nzlockie: You are the only one Jer.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 9 2014 9:40 AM
Pinkie: I'm special.
admin
By admin | May 9 2014 10:57 AM
nzlockie: No, I don't recognize a few of the other random lurkers around here from DDO.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 9 2014 2:06 PM
admin: Some of them are my brother in law. He's pretty special.
Page: 12Most Recent