EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

My current to do list

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Mar 17 2014 1:51 PM
A lot of people have said various things to me recently and I just want to be sure I've got everything. Therefore here's a non-technical edition of my current complete to do list for the site. Please let me know if you can see anything missing. Also if you think something is more/less important, tell me

Immediate:
> broadcast team debate rounds
> unlocalised draft saving

Short term (estimated time for these fixes - end of month :(
> clarify notifications can be clicked to be hidden
> clarify difference between groups and teams
> include image alt text in PDFs
> support multiple tabs for chat
> support link rel next/prev on forums for faster browsing on IE
> update "About Us" page (now hopelessly out of date)

Medium term (estimated time for these fixes - mid next month :(
> "Other" option for gender
> Smilies in chat and messages
> Tidy up resources section
> Display inlined links in PDFs properly
> Improve display of the top nav bar (bigger links? - can a good designer help me out here maybe?)

Long term (estimated time for these fixes - 2-3 months :(
> Improved homepage video + better testimonials section
> Review site security
> (hopefully) mobile friendliness
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 19 2014 8:39 AM
admin: Sounds great!
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 19 2014 8:39 AM
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 19 2014 9:44 AM
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 21 2014 12:11 PM
Sounds great!
Nerd Politico
By Nerd Politico | Mar 22 2014 12:27 AM
admin: If I were to name one feature that would make this the perfect debate site for me and my friends, it would be this: Live video debates with official debate formats programmed in. That way we could do a live PF round, a live LD round, a live world schools round, etc. It would be a perfect practice tool for high school and collegiate debaters. I'm trying to bring world schools to my district by hosting a tournament with that style, but nobody has ever done it before, so if we had this where they could practice it, that would be amazing for next year's tournament.
admin
By admin | Mar 22 2014 12:34 AM
Nerd Politico: Problem is that this would require a streaming server for live video. Since this site doesn't generate an income, this isn't feasible at this point. In my longer-term sights is a cheap hackish workaround I have in mind that will probably be obsolete in a couple of years anyway.

But I've always said that the extended live video format should be an option for EDEB8 at some point. Trust me, if some wealthy anonymous person sent me a couple of thousand dollars, I would have that up in no time.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 22 2014 5:29 AM
admin: I pay to be a member of several forums around the net already. Those forums are infinitely better than the equivalent free ones I belong to. I'd be fine with paying a small membership fee to belong to edeb8 if I felt that I was getting value from it, including paying for features like that.
I'm not saying it should happen now or even soon - I'd want to see video debates and probably team debates used more often before this feature was invested into anyway; but I'm saying that I'd personally be a fan of your removing that, "free and always will be" comment from the front page. ;)
JustAnotherGuy
By JustAnotherGuy | Mar 22 2014 6:05 AM
admin: A suggestion that I would put in is that once this site gets a lot of traffic (which it definitely will at some point) you could put some ads in, I would be completely fine with having ads on the page if it makes this site better.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 22 2014 7:58 AM
JustAnotherGuy: I'd rather pay a sub than have ads. Maybe that's an option you could give.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 22 2014 9:04 AM
JustAnotherGuy: I'd rather pay a sub than have ads. Maybe that's an option you could give.
admin
By admin | Mar 22 2014 11:46 AM
Fun fact: there exist web standards for doing this kind of stuff without needing an expensive server set-up. Few of them are implemented properly in the browsers. Grrrrr....

One alternative would be to implement something based on scriptcam, which should work actually. That would be my cheap alternative, which I have explored a bit already. In fact, if the site doesn't grow too much, it should be free (and when it grows I'll work something out with y'all). But give the bigger features like that some time. :)

As for fundraising efforts if it comes to that, I don't really like the idea of paid memberships. My current ideas are paid tournaments, soliciting donations, and possibly ads for non-logged-in users. But none of those are coming soon. I can handle the costs of the site for now.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 2 2014 3:27 PM
admin: That's really fun, you're right. Lmfao.