EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Jump in Debates

< Return to subforum
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 8:31 AM
Once a debate ends, allow other users to fill in the debate before it goes into judging. Although I don't like ELO, you could use a different formula to calculate a much lower score relative to the number of participants and how many rounds each one wrote.

That way we always have completed debates, and no user feels like they wasted their time. With this in place, we could proceed to clean up all the unsalavageable debates. The cleaner the site looks, the better. Edeb8 has a huge epidemic of bad debates plaguing the site that should be deleted.
Thumbs up from:
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 8:35 AM
By fill in, I mean replace a forfeit with an actual argument. My concern is that members would be disincentivized from participating out of fear of losing ELO (hypothetically in a dimension where this site is popular) , but an easy solution for this would be giving members the option to stake ELO on the debate they are writing arguments for into empty rounds.
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 8:49 AM
Another point.

The site is a failure in most people's mind. I agree that it could of been much better. I appreciate the work admin puts in, but the unwillingness to simplify the site and make major changes is why it is so dead and unappealing to most people.

This site could be flooded with members if it relaunched with a new name, simple design, simple features, and new methods to solve all the problems we have now. Relaunching could be made into an event too, and attract a large amount of people from other debating sites originally, and this time maybe we could get them to stay.

This site is a jumble ideas, and is unfocused so much that it doesn't really feel like an intellectual debating site as it should.

Instead of implementing everything cool, the site should only have what is practical and oriented towards debating. That means less non-site based forums, no more social media profiles, and an image that isn't incredibly confusing as to what the site is about.
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 8:54 AM
The last post is out of frustration. Ever since I've been here, there has really only been one attempt to do anything to actually rework the core structure and design of the site. Everything else has always been little tweaks and adding more and more features that do not address the elephants in the room.

Drastic measures are required.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 25 2016 9:31 AM
Haha welcome back!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | May 25 2016 9:37 AM
Priest of Swag: Can you name a site that you would consider a great debate site?
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 10:29 AM
Bi0Hazard: There isn't one. When lars went and tried to make one into the best possible, he got a lot of people excited. It failed to meet many people's expectations, which is why they left.
admin
By admin | May 25 2016 3:14 PM
Priest of Swag: I feel like the main person whose expectations it failed to meet was really yours; from almost everyone else the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. And yes, I do track/collect it whenever I find it.

Please remember the proper channel for feature requests, bugs, and site change proposals: http://www.edeb8.com/forum/EDEB8.com+Site/1168
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 3:21 PM
admin: People who don't like the site wont stick around to tell you. They never have in the past.

Half the people who have given you positive feedback on this site, left in a week and talked trash about the site upon returning to DDO or whatever other corner of the internet they came from.
admin
By admin | May 25 2016 3:24 PM
Priest of Swag: Sure, and there have been rare occasions where I've found such material, but the complaint is almost always a lack of users, not an overabundance of features. In every case where you've made this claim, the site's members have universally rejected your proposal.

Which is why I'm no longer entertaining threads like this unless there is an upvoted feature request.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 3:30 PM
admin: What site members. There aren't any.

Face it.

Besides yourself, there are only three active and consistent members on this site. These members you always talk about don't stick around.

The site needs to be reworked. If you are going to make excuses, then at least stop pretending like there is some secret widespread support for the current format.
admin
By admin | May 25 2016 3:35 PM
Priest of Swag: Your options are to make a feature request, or to make your own site. Simple. Appealing to me has no weight anymore.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 3:39 PM
admin: If I wanted to appeal to you, I would of sent you an email.

This thread wasn't for you.
admin
By admin | May 25 2016 3:40 PM
Priest of Swag: Then what was it for?
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 3:41 PM
admin: Convincing other people, so they could appeal to you.

I have a feeling that you would sell your own mother if enough people asked you too.
admin
By admin | May 25 2016 3:44 PM
Priest of Swag: And you'd be wrong, but those other people would still need to go through that feature request process. Trying to shut me out of the conversation for mentioning that is disingenuous.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 3:47 PM
admin: M8, discuss as much as you want. I am not angry that you are posting here. so what the hell are you so worked up about?

Sure, it would be nice if you actually discussed the two opinions I brought forward rather than acting defensive. I mean, that's pretty childish.
admin
By admin | May 25 2016 3:53 PM
Priest of Swag: If the thread's not for me that kinda inherently shuts me out. If anyone I'd think I was the biggest stakeholder.

For what it's worth I've discussed your opinions at length before. Your first idea of replacing forfeits with arguments essentially is equivalent to removing time constraints... effectively, edeb8 already allows the longest time constraints available on any debate site. Your second one is about edeb8 removing features, and you know full well how I feel about that.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 25 2016 3:56 PM
admin: Yeah, I already knew what you'd think. I believe I even said that in my post.