EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Judge Rating Reform

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 18 2015 9:06 PM
Yes, this request is also here: http://www.edeb8.com/feature-request

Anyways, the proposal is to change the current rating system to a number rating system 1-5, with an additional rating for constructive and a seperate rating for votes and biased judgements
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 18 2015 9:08 PM
Blackflag: And it IS important that the constructive rating is seperate from the number ratings. In the current system to rate something as constructive it also has to be exceptional, which is odd because I feel good and even biased judgements can be constructive.
admin
By admin | Jun 18 2015 9:22 PM
Blackflag: At some point, you should explain in great depth why you think this is a good idea.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 18 2015 10:09 PM
Blackflag: I think part of the problem you have following the existing system is the fact that you're getting hooked up on the titles for each rank rather than only paying attention to the description/criteria for the rank.

Just ignore the titles and pretend they're just numbers.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 19 2015 9:59 AM
nzlockie: I feel like that would be a breach of the systems integrity. I cannot pretend "constructive" means 5 because it clearly is asking if the judgement was constructive. Likewise I cannot give a bad judgement a biased rating, because biased doesn't actually mean 2.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 19 2015 10:57 AM
Blackflag: Feedback is always constructive. By definition.
You yourself said that you can take constructive points out of even biased points.

Debate is about communication. If your judges missed your points or got turned off by your writing style or whatever - that's constructive. You need to change something to make sure you're communicating better to your audience.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 19 2015 2:35 PM
nzlockie: I think you are making an argument for my case. I should be able to rate something as biased and constructive
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 19 2015 4:18 PM
Blackflag: Nope, what I'm saying is to just follow the formula. If the judgement includes feedback, then regardless of what you think of it, rate it as constructive.
admin
By admin | Jun 19 2015 5:14 PM
nzlockie: To be fair, the judgment needs to be exceptional before it can be rated constructive. It's not an automatic "4 points = rate constructive" kinda thing.
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 20 2015 1:15 AM
nzlockie: What admin said. It should also be noted that even if it wasn't required for a judgement to be exceptional to later rate it as constructive, it is still worth more rating wise than any other judgement. It would be wrong to give a judgement a high rating because it was constructive when the decision itself is terrible.