EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

"Confirm Form Submission"

< Return to subforum
Voice
By Voice | May 8 2015 6:52 AM
What is this? Every time I try to go back to a previous page, I have to confirm it. DUH I WANT TO GO TO THE PREVIOUS PAGE. WHY DO YOU THINK I CLICKED IT? Is this something @admin implemented, or is my internet being stupid?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 8 2015 7:01 AM
Voice: Hey genius, "confirm submission" means you posted something. If you click yes, it will attempt to submit whatever you posted a second time.

Think of it as a hidden page that you navigated right through the first time.

Just click back twice if you want to go right back.
Or better yet, exit through the sub menu buttons.
Thumbs up from:
admin
By admin | May 8 2015 12:10 PM
Voice: Basically what nzlockie said, but I figured I'd throw in a more technical explanation because I can.

Whenever your internet talks to edeb8, that's called a "request". Not just edeb8, but any site really. There's two basic kinds of requests: GET and POST.

The names are pretty self explanatory. A GET requests means it GETs a page url and shows it on your screen.
A POST request means you send some data to edeb8, which then displays some output back from edeb8 on your screen.

Whenever you want to go back to a previous page, the computer is going back to a GET or POST request. If it's a POST request, then that "Confirm Form Submission" box comes up. The browser thinks to see the same page you'll need to send that data to edeb8 a second time.

For example, when you did this forum post, you made a POST request (sending the data of the forum post to the server)
If you went to the dashboard after that, that's a GET request
If from that dashboard you then hit "back", the browser would go back to the POST request (sending it again, thereby posting your message twice)

As nzlockie suggested, you can keep pressing back until you get to a GET request.
Or use the buttons, which forces a new request to be made.

As an aside, one improvement that I will one day do, but which will take a long time to implement everywhere, is to give each post request a unique ID. This means you can't accidentally post the same thing twice. I've already implemented a more basic check that should prevent you from posting the same thing twice in a row.

Hope that helps.
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Voice
By Voice | May 11 2015 3:21 AM
nzlockie: First off, I would like to thank you for recognizing my high intellect. Next, I would like to point out that It also does that when I don't post anything. Thanks for the (blunt) assistance.
Thumbs up from:
Voice
By Voice | May 11 2015 3:24 AM
admin: It does help, thank you, but the notification also appeared when I didn't post anything.
Tejretics
By Tejretics | May 11 2015 5:15 AM
Voice: What @nzlockie said. It's not Edeb8, it's everywhere. If you type a message and then go to the next page, you go to the previous page means it thinks you don't want to submit it and asks you to confirm.
I'm attempting to be #1 Judge and #1 forum poster here.
Tejretics
By Tejretics | May 11 2015 5:16 AM
Voice: That happens sometimes to. What @admin said this time lol
I'm attempting to be #1 Judge and #1 forum poster here.
Voice
By Voice | May 11 2015 5:54 AM
Tejretics: Thanks. That has never happened to me until Friday. It's not doing it now, though. .-.