EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Returning to Our Roots

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 1:00 PM
Edeb8 is becoming like DDO. I say this because DDO's social features dominate the site, while debating is like a sideline attraction. We should not remove social features, but simply relocate them to maximize the debating aspect of the site. This can be accomplished by implementing three former site fixes I have proposed.

1. This is a debate site. The forums should be debate centric. We have awesome groups and they will be used more if we reduce the forums. The new forums should have 4 sub-sections. These are...
- Edeb8.com
- Debate Discussion
- Community
- Other

2. Remove the forum shoutbox and move the shoutbox to the debate page. This will connect the hub of activity with the primary purpose of the site, debating.

3. Pimping out the debate page. Adding as many things to look at on the debate page will draw people's attention to it.
admin
By admin | May 7 2015 6:21 PM
Blackflag: Do you feel "dominated" on edeb8 by "sideline attractions"?

How about you stop forfeiting your debates? That would add legitimacy to the debate part of the site. Right now it would seem you can't keep up with the debate part.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 8 2015 6:35 PM
admin: Oh, I would love to stop forfeiting debates, but I keep getting sidelined by the forums.
admin
By admin | May 8 2015 6:36 PM
Blackflag: What do you need? More reminders?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 8 2015 6:37 PM
admin: Btw, I don't forfeit debates on purpose. I am not sitting their thinking "Oh, I have a debate argument up. Shit, I'll just forfeit!"
I think something is wrong with my time signatures to be honest. I check a couple times a day by clicking on everyone of my highlighted debates, and I always have a day or more of time.

I keep getting sucker punched, but everytime I bring up the issue up with the administration, you always claim the time signatures match up. I've just given up on convincing you.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 8 2015 6:38 PM
admin: That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. The site should either come up with a creative replacement for forfeits, of have a pop-up notifying you of the times on all your current debates when you first log in.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 8 2015 7:43 PM
I literally travel around the world every couple of months and the time on this site are accurate all the time.

It has to be something internal surely.

Besides, why wait till the last minute to post? It puts more pressure on your opponent of you post faster. That's just good gamesmanship...
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 12 2015 10:48 AM
bump. I want a more detailed responce from Lars if that is possible