EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Fundraising

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Apr 20 2015 10:54 AM
Blackflag: How would that raise money for edeb8, it would just bring in new members
"I am not wise, I am a joker" - Floki
"A warrior does not show his heart until the axe reveals it." - Floki
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 20 2015 11:13 AM
ButterCatx: Maybe you need to reread the OP
admin
By admin | Apr 20 2015 12:34 PM
Blackflag: So to clarify - you'd be willing to donate towards paying for advertisements on other sites?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Apr 20 2015 1:08 PM
I'm also going to casually bump this thread because it's actually relevant and important. What would people debate towards. What sort of milestones should there be. That sort of thing.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 20 2015 1:53 PM
admin: Sure, if it worked and others were in on it.
admin
By admin | Apr 20 2015 2:55 PM
.... more casual yet futile bumping ...
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Apr 20 2015 3:27 PM
admin: ... and again. This thread needs to stay on top haha.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Apr 20 2015 7:38 PM
admin: ... I ... will not ... give up ...
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 20 2015 9:49 PM
Haha, ok I'll bite. I already pay to belong to several sites on the interweb. IN GENERAL, pay sites tend to attract a better, more positive, class of people than the non-pay sites - although admittedly, these are technical, rather than social forums I'm talking about.

I'd be willing to donate, even pay a regular sub to belong to Edeb8, and I don't really care what the money is used for.
I know that's not really useful for you, so here's a few random thoughts...

1. I feel very strongly that I don't want Ads on this site. As such, I'd happily pay to keep them off. Yes, I understand that I can use an Ad-blocker, but it offends me that I would have to.

2. I'd very happily pay, purely to renumerate Admin for the work you do. You've created a cool site that works - I don't see why you shouldn't get paid for that.

3. I'd pay to offset any costs that might be incurred in maintaining/improving the site. I don't think anyone here buys it when you say it doesn't cost much to maintain this site. Time is money too.

4. My personal preference would not be to have "building the membership" as an end goal, I'm much more of a "build it and they will come" kind of guy. As such, placing Ads on other sites to attract members wouldn't be my first preference, but I don't feel very strongly about this at all. I would not contest this in any way, and if Admin decided that this fell into point 3, then I'm fine with that.

5. I know that for a social site, attaching a regular cost to it could be considered suicide. For this reason I think setting up a simple donation box type deal would be the obvious answer. It's probably not going to cost you anything or make you much, but it DOES give a means for people to show their appreciation in a practical manner.

5a. If the membership ever gets even half as big as DDO's though, you need to absolutely institute a fee to belong. That will cull the herd from all the deadwood and time wasters. I think for a debate site, the optimal number is probably around 200 with about a 40% debate participation rate.
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Apr 20 2015 9:58 PM
nzlockie: I agree with number 5, but not 5a because I will not be able to continue because I do not have a credit card.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 20 2015 10:25 PM
ButterCatx: I get that. It is easier to pay for stuff with a credit card - but there are lots of ways to send someone money. You could do it if you wanted to badly enough.

Which is kind of my point. Having a fee reduces it to only those people who REALLY want to be there.

And even if you couldn't, it would only be a matter of waiting until you COULD get a credit card - which is not a bad thing. Patience is a virtue my son!
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Apr 21 2015 12:29 AM
nzlockie: 4 years, maybe more if I'm busy. That is a lot of waiting. Plus sending it through the mail it could get stolen. Wiring it to him would work if I knew my bank account number and didn't have a helicopter mom watching my account. I wish I could but I can't.
admin
By admin | Apr 21 2015 1:16 AM
nzlockie: Thanks!
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Apr 21 2015 1:17 AM
ButterCatx: It's fine, I won't be introducing a paywall anytime soon haha.
Let's revive the forums!
Page: 12Most Recent