EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

New Years Tournament Final

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 2 2015 7:42 AM
With all other participants disqualified or ready to move on, I have no choice but to declare the final in action.
NZLockie vs Admin for New Years debate champion. We are not exactly in a rush, so please, take your time.

The topic is..... "The international community should recognize the Shia Houthis government in Northern Yemen"

Rules:
- Must allow at least 8000 characters per round
- Minimum one day cross examination
- Must be at least three rounds
- By coin flip, NZlockie is affirming

The only set clarification is that Northern Yemen refers only to the boundaries of the former Yemeni Republic.

nzlockie
By nzlockie | Feb 2 2015 9:12 AM
Blackflag: Actually the original deal was that JMK was going to pick up our second round... @JohnMaynardKeynes are you still cool with this?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 2 2015 9:32 AM
nzlockie: That is fine, although this is the final round anyways. It can begin whenever it is convenient for both debaters.
JohnMaynardKeynes
By JohnMaynardKeynes | Feb 2 2015 9:39 AM
nzlockie: The next week is really bad for me in terms of time, so that would depend largely on when this would start. I also know nothing about the topic, so I would need to read a bit more into it. But, time permitting, yeah I can still do it.
~JohnMaynardKeynes
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 6 2015 9:07 AM
@admin - Have you discussed with John and NZlockie on when this will take place?
admin
By admin | Feb 6 2015 10:55 AM
Blackflag: Nope, been lazy. Will do though.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Feb 7 2015 1:07 AM
Message from JMK today

My schedule's been really tight, so I'm really not sure when I would have enough time for this--but I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 7 2015 10:49 AM
@JohnMaynardKeynes - Remember, NZlockie is allowed to go up as well if that is convenient.
admin
By admin | Feb 7 2015 2:27 PM
Blackflag: @NZlockie didn't want to do the first round, of course, for much the same reason. I messaged him too and he's not terribly keen.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Feb 8 2015 2:18 PM
Guys, I knew that I was going to be busy once February hit. That's why I arranged to do this with JMK rather than by myself.

I've had a look at this resolution to see how much personal investment I'd have to make in terms of time and I have to admit, I'm not too stoked at the prospect of taking this on.

I find debates over whether militant takeovers should be endorsed or not rather tedious, to be fair. I can imagine that this resolution is going to be fleshed out based largely on (pointless) conjecture about theoretical benefits to the various ethnic and religious groups of the affected areas as well as possibly some delightful rehashing of old historical tribal claims.

That being said - I DID make a commitment of sorts to this tourney. I've never forfeited yet, and I don't intend to start now. I'd like to give @JohnMaynardKeynes one last shot to accept this debate. If we haven't heard from him by tomorrow, I take it on. If that happens, then I apologise in advance as I doubt it will be my best work!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 9 2015 6:58 AM
nzlockie: I tried to pick the final round on something topical. I think you are underestimating how much this topic can be fleshed out. The Houthis coup is another history repeat of a terrorist organization ruling a formalized government, the only other case I can think of is Afghanistan. A lot of questions need to be asked. Would the international community accept a radical government? How would a Shiite government tip the balance of power in the Middle East? Would a Shiite state loyal to Iran, and a Sunni Military allied with Saudi Arabia expand into a full blown proxy war?

I like this topic for a number of reasons...
- Our decisions in Yemen have the power to impact many countries
- This resolution is highly topical and being discussed a lot recently
- It has divided many people. Some who claim to support Houthis and others who do not.

What do others think?
admin
By admin | Feb 9 2015 8:24 AM
Blackflag: *shrug* it's an average topic, nothing special. It's fine though.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 11 2015 7:22 AM
@NZlockie - Slight Proviso on the topic - "The International Community should recognize the Shiite Houthis government in Yemen"
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Feb 11 2015 3:54 PM
Blackflag: That's your fault.
I just copied and pasted the resolution from the first post where you put it.

All good, I'm sure everyone will know what we mean.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Feb 12 2015 5:47 AM
nzlockie: When I sent that I didn't realize the debate started