EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Criticism

< Return to subforum
Unbelievable.Time
By Unbelievable.Time | Dec 13 2014 2:07 AM
How would you respond to criticism or humiliation when it happens?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 13 2014 2:49 AM
Unbelievable.Time: Embrace criticism if it is true. Ignore it if it isn't.
Being humiliated is a personal choice. I have grown very resilient to humiliation, because it really doesn't matter what others are thinking.
Thumbs up from:
admin
By admin | Dec 13 2014 2:35 PM
Unbelievable.Time: Is it legitimate criticism or bullying? The answer depends a lot on that. If it sounds like the person is trying to HELP you, it's legitimate criticism. If they're trying to HURT you, it's bullying.
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 13 2014 2:50 PM
admin: Somestimes legit criticism is given through bullying
admin
By admin | Dec 13 2014 2:57 PM
Blackflag: Disagree. The first step of bullying is always isolation. Legit criticism is trying to be helpful.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 13 2014 2:59 PM
admin: Criticism can be delivered nicely or badly. Sometimes the best form of harassment is by stating the truth
admin
By admin | Dec 13 2014 3:04 PM
Blackflag: There is no best form of harassment. Harassment is just bad.

Badly delivered criticism is still legitimate criticism. I only call it bullying if you're actually trying to hurt a person. There has to be intent there.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 13 2014 3:09 PM
admin: You just agreed with me. Criticism can be delivered through bullying.
I wasn't justifying harassment, just that the most hurtful kind is honest critique.
admin
By admin | Dec 13 2014 3:29 PM
Blackflag: I'm not hurt by honest critique. Honest critique can be delivered in a helpful way.

You said legit criticism can be delivered through bullying. Criticism can be delivered through bullying, but such criticism is not legit. It's done with the intention of hurting the person. Just because it's honest is not what qualifies it as legitimate for me.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 13 2014 3:29 PM
I'm with Admin on this.
As with many things, the defining factor is not the critique itself, or the delivery, it's the motivation behind the person giving it.
If their intention is to hurt, it's bad.

Can good things come from bad? Absolutely, but that doesn't make the critique or the person giving it good. Bullying and Harassment is never good.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 13 2014 3:30 PM
admin: I'm not hurt by honest critique
Bullying is about intent and not response.
People try to hurt others by saying what is true. Which to me is critique.
admin
By admin | Dec 13 2014 3:36 PM
Blackflag: Probably should rephrase for clarity. I'm not hurt just because critique is honest. I'm hurt if somebody tries to critique me to hurt me. When people made false accusations about me and drove me off DDO, it didn't matter to me so much that the accusations were false. I was infinitely more hurt by the fact that people were trying to hurt me when I had done nothing to them.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 13 2014 3:37 PM
admin: But can critique be delivered with the intent to hurt?
admin
By admin | Dec 13 2014 3:40 PM
Blackflag: Yes. Just not legitimate critique.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 13 2014 3:43 PM
admin: So critique has to be given with good intentions for it to be legitimate?
If I were to say to you angrily, "Did you seriously not mow the lawn?! Cant you learn you worthless piece of trash?"

You're saying that isn't legitimate criticism?
admin
By admin | Dec 13 2014 7:16 PM
Blackflag: Yes.
Let's revive the forums!