EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

My country has an election tomorrow

< Return to subforum
Page: 1234Most Recent
admin
By admin | Sep 18 2014 7:42 PM
... and I'm probably the only one who's excited. I love watching all those TV election specials as the results come in.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
sea_shell
By sea_shell | Sep 18 2014 7:53 PM
admin: I dont know, J has put off a family dinner one night so that he can watch the results come in.
I'm not sure if I trust anyone who doesn't have their face as their profile.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 19 2014 12:10 PM
admin: Sigh, if only I lived in an election where people actually knew the days to vote.
America has the highest disproportion of voters and representation of the voters will.

When 66% of registered voters allign with liberalism, but over 50% of our congressman are conservative, you have to wonder when people will start giving a damn about the future of their country. Getting people to care about going to the polls is something not every country has, and I can't respect people who complain about the government and miss nearly every primary/general election.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 19 2014 12:10 PM
Blackflag: *lived in a country, lol
admin
By admin | Sep 19 2014 1:40 PM
Blackflag: Yeah, last election we had a record low voter turnout lol. Something like 1 in 4 people didn't vote.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Sep 19 2014 11:46 PM
Well that was fun. Our government now looks more or less exactly the same as it did before.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 20 2014 12:29 AM
admin: Sound like there was a better turnout this though.
admin
By admin | Sep 20 2014 12:44 AM
nzlockie: Last time I recall it was ~75%.

2,112,522 votes counted this time around. 3,096,247 are enrolled. That's ~68%.

So it's actually a worse turnout this time around.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Sep 20 2014 12:45 AM
admin: (mind you this doesn't consider special votes, but I refuse to believe 7+% of the population cast a special vote)
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 20 2014 3:40 AM
admin: In America, we can hardly scrap up 50% of the people in our nation to vote in the senate race.
America has one of the lowest voter turnouts in the democratic world, and as a result, we are cluttered with corrupt and gerrymandered politicians.

9spaceking
By 9spaceking | Sep 20 2014 5:44 AM
Blackflag: what a shame.
Master of awesomeness
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 20 2014 6:48 AM
admin: 3,096,247 enrolled voters. 2,366,692 votes. That's a 76% turnout.
9spaceking
By 9spaceking | Sep 20 2014 11:34 AM
nzlockie: that's a lot.
Master of awesomeness
admin
By admin | Sep 20 2014 1:25 PM
nzlockie: Where are you getting your number of votes from? Pretty sure my figure's accurate (2,112,522) - see http://www.electionresults.govt.nz/electionresults_2014/partystatus.html
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Sep 20 2014 1:30 PM
admin: That's more accurate than mine!
I got mine from some news agency, stuff.co.nz or somewhere like that.
Consider them retracted.
admin
By admin | Sep 20 2014 3:44 PM
nzlockie: Figured it out. If you add in special votes that haven't yet been counted your figure is pretty much accurate.

Still, it's not a better turnout. It's pretty much the same as last time. And I do wonder why there's so many special votes.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Sep 20 2014 5:27 PM
Blackflag: I learned something today. Despite the fact the USA has one of the most confusing political systems ever (or perhaps because of that) you guys are better in civics than we are: http://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/topics/research/iccs_data
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 20 2014 6:15 PM
admin: Confusing? Seems pretty simple to me. Especially since they regurgitate the same "three branches of government" lessons each year
admin
By admin | Sep 20 2014 6:19 PM
Blackflag: But each state has its own rules.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 20 2014 6:32 PM
admin: Well there isn't to much different when moving states.
The main things that will change are "civil + criminal law", "tax collection", and "how government officials are elected".
Although each state has different laws on how state representatives are elected, how laws are passed, ect., all states follow the basic three branch system.

State Senate. State House. State Governor. State Judiciary.
Federal Senate. Federal House. Federal President. Supreme Court.
Page: 1234Most Recent