EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

MH17 through Russian eyes

< Return to subforum
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jul 22 2014 10:50 AM
Noticed this article this morning: http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/10299192/Russians-fed-conspiracy-theories-on-MH17-crash

It must take some serious resolve to attempt media spin like this in the modern digital world. I especially like the assassination attempt one.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jul 22 2014 11:30 AM
Also I read this a few days ago and the sentiment hasn't left me. I would sincerely hope to look at this kind of tragedy with the strength and maturity of this lady. Pretty inspiring in my opinion.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11296291
admin
By admin | Jul 22 2014 3:14 PM
nzlockie: First of all, severe condolences to everyone affected by the tragedy.

I've been following several media on this since the start. Here's a quick summary of the position of all the media in the world:
Western: Russia did it
Russian: Ukraine did it
Chinese: Don't you feel lucky that you live in China and don't have to deal with this sort of thing? (not a joke - I've actually seen articles literally saying this)

I don't believe either media narrative is really constructive. With MH370, nobody wanted to push the blame. Now everyone seems to want to. Well - everyone except:

1) Putin, surprisingly. IF anything, he's actually been rather dismissive of theories. Of course, he's always presented the image of himself as highly rational, so who knows, it could just be an image thing. But still I think the approach is the right one.
2) And even more surprisingly, Obama. That guy's been under HUGE international pressure to say Russia did it but has always consistently said almost exactly the same as Putin - there needs to be a full investigation, and the Russian rebels need to co-operate with this.

By contrast, pretty much everybody else has accepted one narrative or the other. In the article you link it says:

"Russian news consumers are getting plenty of explanations for the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, which killed 298 people. While they vary wildly in content, all point the finger at Ukraine. None admits the possibility that Russia may bear responsibility."

That's true, but then so is the following:

"Western news consumers are getting plenty of explanations for the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, which killed 298 people. While they vary wildly in content, all point the finger at Russia. None admits the possibility that Ukraine may bear responsibility."

So in general I don't think the article is fair at all.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!