EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Puerto Rican Referendum, June 2017

< Return to subforum
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 11 2017 7:41 AM
On Sunday, June 11, Puerto Ricans took to the polls for yet another statehood referendum. It's legally non-binding, but if that side wins, then it could be the beginning of a process eventually leading to Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state of the Union.
To be fair, it's a long shot, but it could happen, maybe. The most surprising part about this for me is that I didn't see it coming at all. Usually I know about important stuff like this months in advance. But anyhow, I think it'd be cool to add another state, even if the new state in question would be unflinchingly loyal to the Democratic Party.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 11 2017 7:57 AM
It should be added that in 2012 a referendum like this one was held on the island. A slight majority expressed dissatisfaction with the present political status of Puerto Rico and of those who answered the second question, that of what alternate status Puerto Rico should have, the large majority supposed statehood over independence or "free association".
Romaniii
By Romaniii | Jun 11 2017 2:44 PM
I expect congress should be smart enough to shut it down.
To Lars, I apologize for accidentally reporting every single post before replying to it.