EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Universal Healthcare Coverage for Trans

< Return to subforum
True Capitalist Acolyte
By True Capitalist Acolyte | Jun 13 2016 3:36 PM
I would assume only a few people would be able to answer this.

Do countries who have universal healthcare coverage pay for any sort of trans surgery? Whether it be for gender reassignment or prosthesis.

If so, would body hacking be covered in the future?

https://bodyhackingcon.com
admin
By admin | Jun 13 2016 3:39 PM
True Capitalist Acolyte: Universal coverage does not typically extend to any sort of elective surgery.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
True Capitalist Acolyte
By True Capitalist Acolyte | Jun 13 2016 3:41 PM
admin: So even gender reassignment is not covered?
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 13 2016 3:43 PM
It's a non-essential surgery, and an expensive one at that.
Crow
By Crow | Jun 13 2016 3:44 PM
admin: Wasn't it considered and possibly passed recently in Europe though? I remember hearing that, and was going to look it up, but am too lazy.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 13 2016 3:52 PM
Honestly, I don't see why such a surgery would even be worth it if you already went through puberty.
Crow
By Crow | Jun 13 2016 3:54 PM
Dassault Papillon: The only pay-off is further solidifying a lie and earning the hate of others. Besides being able to prostitute as the alternate sex.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
admin
By admin | Jun 13 2016 3:56 PM
True Capitalist Acolyte: Basically no if it is considered by doctors to be elective. Plastic surgery isn't usually covered either. There are exceptions if doctors deem it non-elective. For example plastic surgery would probably be covered if half your face got blown off with some bomb a terrorist set.

Currently it's fair to say most countries do not consider gender reassignment to be non-elective with the exception of, for example, if somebody is born with two sets of genitalia at birth or something.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
True Capitalist Acolyte
By True Capitalist Acolyte | Jun 13 2016 3:56 PM
Dassault Papillon: That is one thing, the primary problem is the distinction between the male brain and the female brain. The two are utilized differently. Simply replacing reassigning gender is not adequate when the behavior of male and female are very different.

For example, how many females have you ever seen threaten a man like this?

True Capitalist Acolyte
By True Capitalist Acolyte | Jun 13 2016 4:04 PM
admin: Fair enough. Is therapy covered for such peoples? I ask because the likelihood of suicide is very high so I had assumed such legislation must of been introduced even if not passed.

I'm very curious because I think America is going the route of Europe in terms of the state. I assume it will be expanding to coverage for a variety of things.

Also prosthetics are not considered either because they are non-essential?
admin
By admin | Jun 13 2016 4:17 PM
True Capitalist Acolyte: In general hospitals and stuff fund mental health, including therapy, for just about any reason. Sometimes there's a waiting list.

It very much depends. In New Zealand for example, if you have an accident and lose your arm, all expenses related to that are paid for in a no-fault scheme called the Accident Compensation Corporation. Once you get through a few bureaucratic hoops you'd probably get a new prosthetic arm. But other countries have a variety of rules for when those things are covered.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jun 13 2016 4:19 PM
admin: The more usual therapy is used for, for example, drug addict recovery etc. The local governments fund organizations like anti-violence groups and stuff too. Some areas have specialized youth therapy outreach things. Plus there's phone counselling and stuff always.
Let's revive the forums!
True Capitalist Acolyte
By True Capitalist Acolyte | Jun 14 2016 1:23 AM
admin: Thanks for sharing, that was very informative. I actually called the Ministry of Health as well and they answered some of my questions.

Apparently therapy is covered in many respects but not surgery. But prosthetics are considered non-essential.
admin
By admin | Jun 14 2016 1:33 AM
True Capitalist Acolyte: I'm surprised they're awake at this hour lol.
Let's revive the forums!
True Capitalist Acolyte
By True Capitalist Acolyte | Jun 14 2016 2:03 AM
admin: No, I didn't call at this hour. I think they would be sleep or would rather hope lol. I called before 5:00 PM your time from my skype line.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jun 14 2016 1:05 PM
True Capitalist Acolyte: Are you planning on Trans surgery?
True Capitalist Acolyte
By True Capitalist Acolyte | Jun 14 2016 8:20 PM
Bi0Hazard: No.