EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Should schools require students to bring iPads?

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Jan 24 2014 11:14 AM
This is a big issue in NZ right now. Lots of schools now require iPads or laptops much like pens and books were once required items. Is this a good idea? What about the cost? Is it that useful for learning?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 24 2014 11:17 AM
admin: No, not unless they are paying for it. My family couldn't go out and buy me a iPad and all my siblings one just for school.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
nolongeractiveuser
By nolongeractiveuser | Jan 26 2014 10:29 AM
Pinkie: Same. I mean, if you got one just for school, that'd be $500 for each ipad!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 26 2014 11:40 AM
nolongeractiveuser: And if you have 4 kids... or 17 like Samantha's family...
nolongeractiveuser
By nolongeractiveuser | Jan 26 2014 12:02 PM
Pinkie: Dang. And 2 is already a lot.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 27 2014 3:08 AM
nolongeractiveuser: Yeah. Let's spend all the money we have on something we don't need! What's gonna happen to the kids who don't bring it?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 28 2014 6:52 PM
I think they have a place and kids SHOULD be exposed to them in school- but requiring parents to buy them is a bit crazy.
TheAntidoter
By TheAntidoter | Jan 29 2014 6:11 AM
Make the Schools buy them.
So this is how it works!
#Trump2014 12-0 The Dream
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 29 2014 12:42 PM
TheAntidoter: Lol, AKA: Government, AAKA: The taxes AAAKA: The parents.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 29 2014 1:12 PM
It's true that if the government pays for stuff like this it comes from taxes, but it is not the same as the Parents paying for it directly.
The tax is on ALL workers, regardless of if they are parents or not, and the government can negotiate a much cheaper rate than the Parents can individually - net result = a win
nolongeractiveuser
By nolongeractiveuser | Jan 30 2014 6:14 AM
nzlockie: If the parents pay for them, no. So, my dad would spend money on a $500 device only used at school? It's one thing to spend money on a ipad for school and home, but only for school, that's like throwing away $500!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 30 2014 7:36 AM
nolongeractiveuser: Not sure if you were replying to me, because I wasn't saying the parents would pay for them.
I was saying that by doing it through taxes you could get a $500 iPad at a personal cost of something closer to $62-$102
(I haven't worked out the actual figure but I did enough to get a rough ball park. It'd likely be that figure + or - about $40.)

That personal cost would be spread over a year, so you're talking under a cent a week.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 30 2014 7:41 AM
nzlockie: The down side is that you're paying for that iPad even if you don't have kids and you're paying for them over and over again regardless how many YOUR kids use, effectively paying for kids who lose,break or steal them.

And I know how you yanks feel about paying for other peoples stuff! :)
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 30 2014 8:08 AM
nzlockie: I'm homeschooled, I wouldn't even get one but my parents would be paying for it.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 30 2014 9:29 AM
Yep, that's true. This is the problem with taxes.

Personally I don't mind paying for something I don't get direct benefit from because I still benefit indirectly. Plus there are certain things that I think are good for society. (Like free healthcare)

I get that a lot of people feel differently though.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 31 2014 9:26 AM
nzlockie: And Obamacare!