EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Community Expectations On Edeb8, my opinion

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 19 2014 12:43 PM
This is my opinion on the expectations we should set for our community. I see so many people flee here from DDO, and act rude, ungrateful, and overtly hostile. I'm frankly a little sick of it. These are a few basic things I think we can all agree on.

- You can request new features, or bring up complaints on the site, but be respectful of the site itself.
- You can argue in forums or debates, but you must know the difference between arguing and fighting. Legitimate points must be made. Attacking the person and not the argument is frowned upon.
- If you have something to air out, say it over PM.
- If someone says something rude to you, others can see it, and there's no need to draw it out.

nzlockie
By nzlockie | Oct 19 2014 1:02 PM
I feel like most of this is covered in the ToS. (Which incidentally can be found at the bottom left of this page for any new users)

I think being respectful of the site is something that is good manners but not really something we can demand. At the end of the day, all feedback is good feedback, regardless of how it's delivered, as long as we take it in the right manner.

The more I've become familiar with the online debate culture, the more I can appreciate that there is a legitimate place for both sites. Personally I think that having both around makes both stronger. I wouldn't wish some of the issues we have here on DDO and I certainly wouldn't want some of their issues to manifest here.

I am confident that we're doing good things here and that the platform Lars has created is a better platform for debate than anything else that's online. We have a tight community with a positive vibe and a minimum of drama. We now have several legitimately good debates in the bank despite only being on the scene for five minutes.

The only thing Edeb8 lacks is a user base - which is no problem at all. To attract the kind of users we want here, we just need to give it time. Concentrate on producing some good product. If we build it, they will come grasshopper!

What Doc said the other day about the public perception being that Edeb8 was for Debate Connoisseurs is perfect in my opinion!
I agree with everything Drafterman just said in the shout box. We have no need to be constantly looking over the fence. If DDO feel the need to come and criticise - let them!