EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

A Question for the Atheists and Agnostics

< Return to subforum
Page: 1234Most Recent
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Apr 2 2014 7:29 AM
**Caution**This will be controversial**: I AM NOT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE. Just asking a question here considering I myself, am an Agnostic.

Why do people in their profile for religion put "Agnostic" or "Atheist?" Agnosticism and Atheism are not religions. The two are mere statements that express skepticism about the existence of god or gods. Neither are an adequate replacement for a religion considering religion functions as an entire belief system and moral values. Agnosticism and Atheism only express an individual statement about the existence of a god or gods.

Why do I ask this question? I was talking with an atheist on Skype the other day about religion. This person said that more people should get rid of religion and become atheists and/or agnostics. I said the world would become a dangerous place without religion. I said under atheism there is no moral difference between squashing a bug and squashing a human being. As I told this person, atheism only denies the existence of gods, it does not affirm or negate other moral values.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 2 2014 7:44 AM
Tophatdoc: Merriam Webster defines religion as: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group. Now, I wouldn't agree with that definition myself because school is important to me but it's not my religion, but some might cling to that definition and say that Atheism or Agnosticism is their religion. And + there is no place made for mere statements that express skepticism about the existence of God or gods. :P
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Apr 2 2014 7:58 AM
Pinkie: Atheism according to the same dictionary(Merriam Webster) is not a belief.

Atheism: "1. a disbelief in the existence of deity"
"2.the doctrine that there is no deity "

Therefore it can not be a religion because there is no belief LOL

I knew someone would come on here to wage a dictionary war over definitions.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 2 2014 8:33 AM
Tophatdoc: It's still a interest LOL.
admin
By admin | Apr 2 2014 10:10 AM
Tophatdoc: So first of all, let me explain what I understand. Agnosticism expresses skepticism in religion, atheism expresses disbelief in religion. An agnostic can be a theist. Some atheists are not agnostic. So essentially, if I see somebody answer "atheist" to "what is your religion?", I read that as "I don't believe in one". If somebody answers "Agnostic" I read that as "I'm still thinking about it and can't think of a better word to describe it than this". Religions are not the only valid answers to that question.

I believe that religions don't fulfill a moral function at all. They reflect social norms and themselves become normative. I believe the essential moral principle of compassion is actually inherent to humanity, something we all instinctively realize is a grand idea. It is to me quite natural that not all areligious people are amoral. Of course the details of that morality are not really exactly encompassed in "atheist", but putting "christian" doesn't exactly describe it either.

I for one believe in much of christian morality, but I am an atheist as I disbelieve in a christian God.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 1:33 PM
admin: That's a really confusing statement: Agnosticism expresses skepticism in religion, atheism expresses disbelief in religion. An agnostic can be a theist. Some atheists are not agnostic.
admin
By admin | Apr 3 2014 1:40 PM
Pinkie: Agnostic theist: I believe in God but I have to take it on faith
Gnostic theist: I have some secret certain proof that God exists
Agnostic atheist: I don't know if God exists and won't believe until I have some good evidence
Gnostic atheist: God does not exist and I am totally 100% sure of that

I tend to find most people are at least a little bit agnostic.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 1:41 PM
admin: So I would be the first then?
admin
By admin | Apr 3 2014 1:45 PM
Pinkie: From what I know about you, yeah.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 1:58 PM
admin: Yay, I won then.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 1:59 PM
Pinkie: Wait, why did I say that? Nvm, I thought we were talking about something different in this thread.
admin
By admin | Apr 3 2014 2:00 PM
Pinkie: This is what happens when you post too much too fast.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 2:01 PM
admin: Actually it's been the first time I've done that. I think.
admin
By admin | Apr 3 2014 2:02 PM
Pinkie: You are indeed highly skilled in posting fast. I only wish you were as skilled in posting intelligently every time. :)
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 2:05 PM
admin: I'm 15... At least I'm not high and posting gibberish like some DDOers.
admin
By admin | Apr 3 2014 2:07 PM
Pinkie: Totally respect that. You're a lot better than, I would daresay, most of DDO.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 2:11 PM
admin: DDO is that awful?
admin
By admin | Apr 3 2014 2:13 PM
Pinkie: The dark side of DDO is... let's not even go there. :D
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Apr 3 2014 2:16 PM
admin: Yes, let's.
Nerd Politico
By Nerd Politico | Apr 4 2014 1:21 AM
Tophatdoc: To answer your question, it's to indicate a lack of religion.

And to respond to your question of moral values, well, that's just not the case. Even if one doesn't subscribe to a particular moral philosophy, there's still social norms governing their morals, a democracy of morality, if you will. An atheist could also subscribe to moral theories like Kant's take on deontology, or utilitarianism, or other moral philosophies. The bible does not have a monopoly on morality.
Page: 1234Most Recent