EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

How to debate:

< Return to subforum
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 3 2018 4:36 PM
please forgive me if this sounds like I'm talking down to you. I'm not. It's just getting REALLY frustrating trying to judge and participate in debates where purple just aren't debating.

1. PRO - define the resolution. Do it first thing in your first round. Define every word, and make it really clear.
Even better, tell me what someone needs to do to win.

2. Both sides: Edeb8 had been set up for formal debate. This isn't a site to express your personal opinion on the resolution. You don't need to actually believe the side your arguing. Your job is simply to make a argument for it.
Don't forfeit!

3. Give me a REASON for your opinion. Don't just say, "I don't think it's a good idea. " Tell me why!

4. Back your reason up with evidence. Factual evidence is good. Objective evidence is better. But honestly, at this stage I'd be happy if you just lied.

As a judge, I'm not allowed to let my personal opinions or my own knowledge of the resolution sway me. I can only judge based on what the two sides have said.
If the resolution is that the sky is blue, PRO says it is because they've seen it, and CON says is not because THEY'VE seen it... then both sides forfeit, I have to give it to CON.

It sucks but that's how it goes. When the debate is just a "he said, she said", with no actual evidence or even reasoning, then the win usually goes to CON.

Please give me more!

And PS: when setting up a debate, please pay attention to the number of characters you have and the number of rounds. And the length of time in each round.

Thanks. Sorry I just had to get that off my chest.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 3 2018 4:36 PM
Lol at "purple"
admin
By admin | Jan 6 2019 11:46 AM
nzlockie: Bumping this.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Treschanna
By Treschanna | Feb 1 2019 5:55 PM
I hear ya! and how about those blues, am I right? xD
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Feb 2 2019 5:46 AM
Treschanna: Blues?!