EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

General Mod Stuff

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Oct 9 2016 7:31 AM
There's 3 main candidates for the mod position, so I'm kinda tossing up. In the meantime I thought it might be interesting for people to see the interview questions and the answers I was looking for. Nobody answered perfectly but that's cool.

1. Somebody claims to be bullied by another member because they support Trump over Hillary. They claim the other member won't leave them alone and talks down to them constantly.
A good answer would have noted that the site TOS bans any form of harassment. If indeed the claims are substantive then this would be grounds for a ban or a warning. Bullying-type behavior is also additionally banned.
A great answer would have further noted that they can explain the blocking system to the user.

2. Somebody embeds a GIF of a shooting on the forums, that has been taken from a late-night crime show.
Everyone did well on this question, so yay!
A good answer would have noted the site's "is it suitable for children?" test in evaluating all content. If indeed the GIF had "late night" content on it, it probably wouldn't belong here, should be taken down, and could warrant an immediate warning or ban.

3. Somebody discovers a bug that allows them to view the passwords of other members. They mention it on the feature request page as a bug report, including the exact steps to reproduce it.
A good answer should mention both fixing the bug (ie letting me know immediately) and punishing the user for sharing the exploit. In the site TOU, you're not allowed to do anything that puts the site at risk.
A great answer may have pointed out the edeb8 privacy policy also, which protects members' personal information.

4. Somebody claims to have been unfairly banned for advertising by the automated system. They say they want their account back. They give no other explanation.
Obviously the correct answer is to ask for more information, but I was actually interested in what people would ask exactly. A good question might be something like "did you do anything that the system may have mistaken for advertising?".
A great answer might have mentioned going into the user's profile and history on the site, and checking whether it does look like advertising personally. One person gave an answer similar to this but their answer was tailored more to multiaccounts lol. Common signs of advertising would be things like linking to commercial services and doing virtually nothing else.
I would have been particularly impressed if somebody mentioned that all accounts banned by the automated system have a 24-hour grace period during which they are notified to remove such content and then contact me so I can check.

5. Somebody joins claiming to have been born in 2004, using social login. Their username is "Aaron Tylerson", and they message you asking for advice about what high school debate is like.
I felt like nobody QUITE understood this one correctly. The rule is - if you're a kid, you don't reveal personally identifiable information about yourself. Of course give him advice but that bit is much more important.
Great answers might have noted that he used social login, which automatically assigns usernames etc. It is therefore likely that this is in error and a message asking Aaron to change his username and hide his birthdate in his settings would probably be sufficient.

Just thought the general public of edeb8 might be interested :)
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Oct 9 2016 11:43 AM
admin: You gave the candidates a test that they had to pass?
admin
By admin | Oct 9 2016 11:48 AM
Bi0Hazard: More like an interview.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Kohai
By Kohai | Oct 10 2016 3:04 AM
Who are the top candidates right now?
Thumbs up from:
Assistant Edeb8 Mod. PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns!
Famousdebater
By Famousdebater | Oct 10 2016 3:12 AM
admin: I'm eager to know who the top candidates are at the moment. 😀
Famousdebater from DDO.
ButterCatx
By ButterCatx | Oct 10 2016 9:00 AM
So I'm not a candidate? :'(
"I am not wise, I am a joker" - Floki
"A warrior does not show his heart until the axe reveals it." - Floki
Famousdebater
By Famousdebater | Oct 10 2016 9:42 AM
ButterCatx: You had to apply via PM.
Famousdebater from DDO.
lannan13
By lannan13 | Oct 11 2016 4:48 AM
*Fingers crossed*
What is immoral for a individual to do is immoral for a government to do."- Rand Paul
"What fun is there in making sense?"- Discord
Defeat the Washington Machine, and Unleash the American Dream!
"Th
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Oct 11 2016 8:03 AM
Can't wait to see who admin appoints.