EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

WODC Update

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
admin
By admin | May 20 2015 3:48 AM
We are now only 11 days away from the most awesome online debate tournament of the year. 12 brave souls have entered already, 9 of whom are representing debate.org. That's pretty good considering the WODC only had 13 entrants at the beginning of last year's tournament, so we're only one short. It also means that with the new break system, we will have octo-finals! (as long as nobody drops out haha)

This weekend: important notice!
This weekend the topic selection system will be tested. If you have entered before this weekend, you will get an email just like you would at the start of every round, asking you to pick a topic (the topics, of course, will not be real topics from the competition). The purpose of this is to:
1. Test the system and check that everybody can get emails etc
2. Give everybody a chance to practice using the new topic selection system
Although you will be drawn against an "opponent", obviously the debate won't go ahead... it's just a test. The "testing" nature of this event will also be noted in all alerts you receive in relation to it etc. Taking part is completely voluntary. Remember, you have to be signed up by this weekend to have a chance to practice using the topic selection page! It's extremely easy but you may want to have a look and ask questions if something confuses you there.

Please enter!
The WODC is an awesome tournament well worth participating in. This year will feature awesome topics, power pairing and more. If you've been to a real-life tournament before, the WODC is like that... and if you haven't, join to see what amazingness you're missing out on. Other online debate tournaments around the place may be fun, but nothing compares to the WODC. See the website for more details, the sign-up form, and important information: http://www.edeb8.com/wodc2015

A few people have emailed me regarding sign-up emails not getting through. If this happens, it's imperative that you contact me asap. You can use the contact form on the official website, and it'll get straight through to me.

Webpage Updates
The official website at http://www.edeb8.com/wodc2015 now has a list of entrants that can be viewed. Each entrant also has a link to their profile on whatever site they entered on. Here are some quick facts on the entrants so far this year:

Edeb8 average experience: 15 debates
Edeb8 normalized average win rate: 49%
Edeb8 average Elo score: 1518 (whole site average is 1500)

DDO average experience: 66 debates
DDO normalized average win rate: 80%
DDO average "Elo" score: 3488 (note: uses different formula from edeb8)

As you can see, the calibre of competition looks to be fairly high... but don't be intimidated. Remember that with power pairing, you're still certain to be drawn against the opponents most suited to your level, at least after the first round or two, so you can still have a fantastic tournament and gain heaps of experience!
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
RXR.
By RXR. | May 20 2015 10:15 AM
admin: Will losing the tournament effect your elo points ?
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
lannan13
By lannan13 | May 20 2015 10:22 AM
admin: Are the debates on here or DDO?
What is immoral for a individual to do is immoral for a government to do."- Rand Paul
"What fun is there in making sense?"- Discord
Defeat the Washington Machine, and Unleash the American Dream!
"Th
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 20 2015 2:24 PM
@RXR. the tourney is just made up of normal debates. If you select the option to have the debate as "rated" then yes it will. That's Edeb8 anyway, I don't know if you can have an unrated debate on DDO.

@lannan13 the debaters are assigned home or away status for each round, so some will take place here and some will take place there. There's some system he uses to ensure that you don't debate all your debates at the same place though.
admin
By admin | May 20 2015 2:45 PM
RXR.: If you read the rules, you'll note that it says debates need to be set up on edeb8 as rated debates. This being said, it's 2-3 debates you'll do on here, against new members, so it shouldn't make a big difference.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
RXR.
By RXR. | May 21 2015 2:32 AM
admin: Oh and btw I can't debate on debate.org because I got banned. So I can only debate here.
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
admin
By admin | May 21 2015 2:33 AM
RXR.: Suppose you'll just need to forfeit all your away debates then.
Let's revive the forums!
lannan13
By lannan13 | May 21 2015 2:33 AM
RXR.: What did you get banned for anyways?
What is immoral for a individual to do is immoral for a government to do."- Rand Paul
"Th
RXR.
By RXR. | May 21 2015 2:51 AM
lannan13: For multi-accounting.
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
lannan13
By lannan13 | May 21 2015 2:53 AM
RXR.: Why?
"Th
RXR.
By RXR. | May 21 2015 2:57 AM
lannan13: For multi-accounting.
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
RXR.
By RXR. | May 21 2015 2:58 AM
RXR.: oops duplicate. but anyways idk airmax never messaged me
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
lannan13
By lannan13 | May 21 2015 3:01 AM
RXR.: No, I meant why did you do it?
"Th
RXR.
By RXR. | May 21 2015 3:28 AM
lannan13: Because I was bored.
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
RXR.
By RXR. | May 21 2015 3:51 AM
admin: Does that mean I'm out of the tournament ?
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
admin
By admin | May 21 2015 3:52 AM
RXR.: Nope. Just do your edeb8 debates and you can still place well, and forfeit your DDO debates.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 21 2015 8:20 AM
RXR.: Or petition whoever you have to.
lannan13
By lannan13 | May 21 2015 8:39 AM
nzlockie: What would that accomplish?
"Th
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 21 2015 9:50 AM
lannan13: Maybe nothing, maybe they see he's changed and decide to let him conduct his debates.
lannan13
By lannan13 | May 21 2015 9:53 AM
nzlockie: I doubt it. Some people were banned for very little while others weren't banned at all.
"Th
Page: 12Most Recent